• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theres missing a little black paint on one corner of my new PSU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I got the SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W. Whenever I get new stuff I always check the product and when I was looking at the PSU I noticed there was a tiny amount of paint missing on the very corner tip of the PSU. It's maybe the size of like a pin head area missing thick black paint. The PSU and the PC seem to work fine and all but I don't like it's missing the paint. It's not like I see it through the side window but still. Was it dropped maybe ? When I shaked the unit before installing it I I could here a distinct sound/rattle. It's not like it's something loose moving inside but there is a sound rattle though. I assume it's normal could it be a fan bearing ? Would it be dumb to return it ? would you return it ? Am I just being silly.

You can't see the ding, it works fine, run it. It has a warranty, and there's probably medication for that OCD. :)

same thing happened to me when i got my new PSU. corner looked dinged a bit. could have been dropped or something. but like mr. scott said it has a warranty... so in it went and it hasn't been a problem since.

just keep the box and packaging for a while in case you need to rma.

Could be anything. It's not like you're gonna be shaking your whole rig around.
Don't worry. WARRANTY. ;)

The only normal sounds from a fan are whirring and sometimes a tick-tick-tick caused by a thrust washer rubbing. For the latter, unplug the AC power cord, and push and pull fan shaft with makeshift plastic tools to change that sound, at least for a while.

I shake and tumble all new PSUs because I used to get some where a washer or nut would fall out, meaning something wasn't pressing tight against its heatsink.

Back