• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens if I format a floppy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Auto542

My question is, what happens when I format a floppy, will I be able to store stuff on it later? or does it just mess them up, because I got a new computer a while back, and I am now trying to put something on the floppy's that I have, but when I click on the Floppy Drive Icon in the My Computer section, it says that I need to insert a floppy disk into the drive, but I already have one in there? what should I do? the ones that I am using are ones that I have formatted a while back. any suggestions?

Formatting a disk (any disk, hard, floppy, cdr) is equivalent to erasing the data on it. It will not mess it up. However, seeing as how your floppy drive states that you need to insert a disk into the drive, there might be something a bit deeper that is wrong.

Dude....forget you have a floppy. Get a USB pen drive if you must. Floppys are near usless nowadays. And I still have one ,its getting pulled for a card reader/usb huc I think.

ddoggma said:
Dude....forget you have a floppy. Get a USB pen drive if you must. Floppys are near usless nowadays. And I still have one ,its getting pulled for a card reader/usb huc I think.
With some older motherboards the easiest (only?) way to flash them is with a floppy since they weren't designed to see the USB ports (assuming they even have USB ports) at POST. So, I wouldn't get rid of any floppy drives just yet.

Yes, the floppy is the easyest for the non geek people who dont know how to boot off a cdrom etc. I only have 1 puter thats not being used cause its so old "p233". That i think I might have to use the floppy. But its floppy is rock solid and works great. These new ones are just not worth it to me.As they die off, I just wont replace em. I'll keep the p233 around if I need one I can pull that one out. Its an nice old IBM or teac. So, anything in the last 4 years you should be able to work around not having a floppy. But yes, having one thats working in your box is not a bad thing and can come in handy.:beer:

Midnight Dream said:
Yes, the floppy disks could themselves be bad.

Ditto... They have a shelf life just like a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk... the god bad after a while of sitting around, or with use.

~ Gos

check the flopy cable...i worked at a computer store and i cannot tell you how many times that damn cable ends up upside down....especially if the light is always on even when there is no disk in the drive

My guess is that the floppy is dead. Just for fun I tried to see what was on some old floppys I had sitting in my closet from my windows 3.1 days, and only three of eleven were detected. Gotta hate shelf life ;)

Was the drive sitting in the sun by any chance? I've heard that the suns rays can burn (not literally of course) the film inside a floppy.

Now that I think about it... I can't even fit one full size photo on a floppy anymore... My my have times changed.

As some have stated

The only use of the floppy these days is Flashing a Bios and Installing windows on a Raid array :p

To me, you floppy disk looks dead. But it's best to check your cabling 1st.

Or your floppies are formated with a older floppy format (yea thats possible)

do you have the old floppy drive?

prankstar008 said:
check the flopy cable...i worked at a computer store and i cannot tell you how many times that damn cable ends up upside down....especially if the light is always on even when there is no disk in the drive
This has happened to me plenty of times. It's that tricky light that always stays on! In the end I always feel sort of dumb for not having it connected.

Back