• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I'm building a desktop gaming PC..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sortajan

Registered
It's my first build. I have the parts picked out and everything seems okay, but I was hoping to get some more opinions on whether or not I'm completely wasting money here, or if one dodgy part is going to harm or hold back the rest of the parts.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/sortajan/saved/jXgzK8

I'm definitely operating on a budget and I'd prefer to stay in the $1,000-1,300 USD range.. I just want to make sure it's a reasonably capable gaming build.

I appreciate any advice. I'm trying really hard to avoid making any avoidable mistakes.

With the mother board you have I would spend the extra $20 and get the 4670k, if you have no intent on any overclocking then you could go with a cheaper board and maybe upgrade to a GTX770

Give this a look: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T6bPgs

I added the 4690K, since you had an overclocking board but a locked CPU.
I changed to a cheaper, but equally spec'd motherboard.
Got faster RAM for the same price.
Worked in the 840 EVO 240GB instead of the 120GB.
Picked a case with better airflow.
Dropped the PSU 100W, 550W is still a lot of overkill for this rig.
Switched to Windows 8, as Windows 7 won't support DX12.

Give this a look: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T6bPgs

I added the 4690K, since you had an overclocking board but a locked CPU.
I changed to a cheaper, but equally spec'd motherboard.
Got faster RAM for the same price.
Worked in the 840 EVO 240GB instead of the 120GB.
Picked a case with better airflow.
Dropped the PSU 100W, 550W is still a lot of overkill for this rig.
Switched to Windows 8, as Windows 7 won't support DX12.
I like this build Atmin.

Though for $10.00 more I'd get this Gpu

I'm not sure I'm confident enough to apply thermal paste (I've never done this before, so I'm a bit hesitant/cowardly), so I don't know about getting a separate CPU fan. I don't intend to do any overclocking either (also cowardice).

I'm also reading that the VCard is a bit big for that case you listed; would it really work out?

It's easy, small drop of TIM, bolt the heatsink down.

Yes, you'll only have 1 SSD and 1 HDD, so you don't need all the drive bays.
They have a quick release on the middle portion to accommodate longer GPUs :)

Whenever you don't know how to do something, youtube. Plenty of videos on there on how to apply paste. If your not going to do any OC'ing at all though you may want to go to a different setup that will still give you plenty of stock performance at a lower cost and let you move up to a GTX 770 4GB.

Oh, that's awesome. Yeah, I think I'd be interested in getting a separate CPU fan somewhere along the line. I'm pretty accident prone though, so I'm trying to take baby steps.

I also caught sight of that lovely little Asus warning in your signature. I'm sure experiences vary, but I definitely feel better about getting that ASRock now (I had to google it because I thought Asus and ASRock were the same :(). Even with that I like the price of the ASRock.

Would it be worth going to a 770 4GB as recommended? It's a $170 difference (which isn't terrible), but would the difference be very big?

If you want to feel even better about that board: ASRock Z97 Extreme6 Review
That's our in-house review.

I would try to get into a 770 if at all possible, and prefer 4GB. It'll be about a 20% gain going to a 770 over a 760 for 1080p ultra.
If you want, you can drop the CPU Cooler off for now to help offset the cost of the GPU.

I would like to get a CPU cooler in the future since I do know the benefits of it, but I think I'd like to hold off for a little while, maybe a couple paychecks down the line. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing bit by bit.

I think I'm going to be putting a 770 into it after all. I really, really appreciate the help and the quick responses. I'm always afraid I'll be verbally torn to shreds, but you guys are genuinely nice and helpful. I really appreciate it.

Anyways this is what I'm sitting on. I don't think I need the extra space on my SSD so I'm skimping on the CPU since I won't be overclocking (and if I do it won't be for a long time).

I'm still hesitant about W8, but at the same time I don't want to end up like my grandfather, afraid to use anything more advanced than an electric toothbrush. So I'm going for it.

Nothing wrong with learning more as you go, everyone here started off knowing nothing about computers at some point :)

I believe the 770 is the smart move, especially with your budget.
It's always nice to hear feedback like that, thank YOU.

I'll warn you, for a gaming computer that 120GB will be eaten up FAST.
Strongly recommend 240GB+.

If you're going with the locked CPU you can drop a lot of cost off of the motherboard also.
Honestly though, I would fork up the $20 for the overclockable CPU. You'll kick yourself later if you don't.
Not only is the K variant overclockable, but it has a higher base speed.

You can change the UI with ClassicShell.
I like the UI in 8.1, some people don't. Other than the UI (personal preference whether it is good/bad) 8/8.1 is superior to 7 in every way.

How should I distribute stuff between the SSD and HDD? I've heard some people like installing their OS and other important things on their SSD and using their HDD for everything else. I hadn't actually planned to put games on the SSD.

OS, games, and programs on the SSD.
Anything else on the HDD.

You absolutely want games on your SSD, then when you're done playing it you can put a backup on the HDD and remove it from the SSD.

I just went to 8.1 and put ClassicShell on it. Make sure to read some stuff online about navigating 8.1 and it will make life easier. Hotkeys, controlling and splitting windows, how to close apps, etc and it will help. Can't say its perfect but its livable at the moment. It didn't like my OC where 7 never had an issue so went back to stock and will have to start that over again to find a good one but not an issue.

Look at your current drive and the games you play the most and see how large they are. If you really only play a few at a time and can fit those on the SSD your fine. I still have a lot of games on my storage drive but I rarely play them and if I do its only a little slower on load. If its not something like a fps that changes maps often its never an issue. I did just replace all my 120 GB SSDs with larger ones though so not having to worry about it is also nice.

Also figure your not getting 120 GB out of a drive, prolly 110 or less even. You also never want to totally fill up. Page file and ssd's like to have a little room to breathe so try and keep 10-15 GB free so figure under 100 is what you will have.

The build looks good otherwise. I know your at the top end of your budget. As always recommended if you live near a Microcenter you can save some there.

Just a warning- it's MUCH easier to install a CPU cooler on a board when it is outside of the PC. Having the motherboard installed will make it more annoying and difficult to install a cooler down the line. It won't be impossible though.

Applying thermal paste is simple. You just put a blob the size of a small green pea right in the middle of the CPU and lower the heatsink straight down onto it. Try not to Jiggle the heatsink around or move it once it is on the CPU, and tighten the heatsink on using that specific heatsink's mounting hardware.

I suggest you get all the parts at once and install your aftermarket cpu cooler at the same time you are installing the rest of your system.

Some aftermarket coolers, like most AIO water coolers (ie, Corsair H100i) come with the heatsink compounds preapplied, so no need to do anything but tighten the block onto the CPU. Coolers like the H100i are nearly impossible to install with the motherboard in the case by the way. Do it all at the same time.

Remember- having a big aftermarket heatsink doesn't obligate you to overclock your system. You're only obligated to enjoy building it and using it.

Really? Because I've ALWAYS put heatsinks on after installing the motherboard into the case, as long as there is a cutout in the case tray.
Keeps things from moving around...

Really? Because I've ALWAYS put heatsinks on after installing the motherboard into the case, as long as there is a cutout in the case tray.
I've done both and have found it depends on the case. I find in smaller cases, it's sometimes can be tougher to get the mobo in with a Aftermarket heatsink attached. Most of the time I will install it out of the case though.

The cutout in the tray may not be large enough, things may be in the way, etc. I think it's just easier to install the cooler first. That's what most build guides will tell you to do. I suppose it's a matter of opinion but for a beginner I think outside the case will be easiest.

I hope I'm alright bumping this thread, but I've got all of the parts (link here) and I was wondering...

Can I do a test boot with just the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply? My main concern is that if something goes wrong and this thing is going to burst into flames, do i need to have my SSD/HDD/GPU in as well, or can I keep them safe in their boxes while I test the others?

You can absolutely do that, just assemble them on top of the motherboard box, it'll help make sure you don't get anything under the motherboard.

The motherboard supports your processor's integrated GPU, so just use a display connection to the motherboard I/O ports.

You'll obviously only boot to the BIOS, but that'll tell you at least that the CPU, RAM, and motherboard are working :)

Back