• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Apache2 Home Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziptieboy

Hi all,
First off, I'm new to this server business, but I had an old compaq sitting around and decided to make it useful. I installed Xubuntu 6.06 and used this guide to set up apache2 and some other things. I have ISPconfig installed, as well as Webmin.
Here's the problem. I have the computer running, and can access a default index.html by using the local Ip address. I have apache set up to listen on port 8181. When I type 192.168.0.150:8181, it brings up a simple webpage that I made. However, if I try to type in my IP address(67.61.247.38), it brings up my router login screen. If I do 67.61.247.38:8181 it times out. I am behind a DI-514 Wireless router and have forwarded port 8181 on it.
Can anyone think of why it would do this? I can post any configuration files if anyone needs them.

Thanks in advance.

Well,
I certainly don't know what changed in between now and then, but it seems to be working. Thank you!

Ok, maybe you can answer another question. I thought I would try to set up a domain name so that I don't have to remember my IP address. I used DynDNS. I have scottgoering.linuxhome.org, which leads me to a 401 Blocked By Admin page. Is there something I need to do to set that up?

I also have another problem. I have a php file on my server, but when I try view the file, it either tries to download the page or only displays the actual text of the file.

67.61.247.38/test.php

Your php server is not working correctly. All i know is that you apache server is not properly configured to allow the php processor to execute the php files, hence they are appearing as regular files. Somewhere in the apache config file you have to point to the php directory. Can't remember that well, haven't configured a server in a while.

make sure you install php5, it is not installed by default.

also, on you DYNDNS did you do a webhop or a simple host with ip address? you will probably want a webhop and point it to your IP : port so you dont have to remember your port number when you type in the address.

Once you install PHP5 you have to configure it too. You might want to get an All in one solution for windows like WAMP or something.

Once you install PHP5 you have to configure it too. You might want to get an All in one solution for windows like WAMP or something.

i didnt have to do anything to configure php5 on my ubuntu machine. and hes using xubuntu, not windoze.

Back