• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 6W Fan Controller and AP-15s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hi all,

I'm using an Aerocool Power Watch 6 watt per channel fan controller in conjunction with 6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15s and 3 BitFenix Spectre LED 120mm fans.

I was thinking of running 3 each of the AP-15s on the first two channels and 2 and 1 of the Spectres on the last two channels. I just need to know would this actually work or do I need a higher watt fan controller?

The AP-15s are rated at 0.996W on Scythe's site (0.083A) and the Spectres are rated at 1.92W (0.16A). If I go by those numbers, I should be safe in running those fans on this controller but I'd like the opinion of the more knowlegeable members of this forum.

Thanks in advance!

The math you did is exactly what I would do. 1w per AP-15 means 3w per channel for those, and ~4w and ~2w for channels 3 and 4, respectively. Those are all well under the 6w limit.

I would run each fan individually on the controller to see what its actual RPMs are compared to what it's rated for.

For example, the other day I bought a fan rated for 1500 RPM @12V. Plugged it into my controller and it runs at 2000 RPM (+33.33% repeating of course) @12V!

I have a feeling it is drawing more power than what the label specifies; to be sure I might just take my ammeter and confirm this. Give me a couple days and I'll post some results.

-H

The start-up current is 0.36A on the AP-15, so that's 4.32W per fan on start-up. The operating current is 0.083A, so 0.996W.

Thanks all for the replies.

I figured I'd be safe with the operating current with those fans but I didn't have the start-up current... It seems the start-up current is too great for this controller, right? I mean there's no point connecting them the way I had planned if the controller won't provide enough juice for the fans to start. Or am I incorrect in my thoughts?

Guess I might have to look into a Lamptron or Sunbeam controller and delegate this to a less taxing build...

Thanks again.

The start-up current is 0.36A on the AP-15, so that's 4.32W per fan on start-up. The operating current is 0.083A, so 0.996W.
That's transient draw, right? If this is a rheostat-type controller that doesn't present a problem, but if it's a PWM controller it might be an issue.

That's transient draw, right? If this is a rheostat-type controller that doesn't present a problem, but if it's a PWM controller it might be an issue.
It's definitely not a PWM controller, and none of my fans are PWM fans. I guess I could just test it. I wouldn't be burning anything out if I do, would I?

Well, that's the concern - that you'd burn something out. But if it's not PWM then the circuitry for controlling fan speed shouldn't have trouble with a startup spike. Most people don't check the startup current draw anyway - the 6W rating is a continuous rating.

Yeah, the start-up current is just to get the fans going and doesn't last long, just an initial spike. I've incrementally added fans to channels for testing controllers and haven't had a blow out, but that was just for testing the max wattage of the channel in continuous use.

Thanks all :) I'll be keeping this controller in that case. And if I do blow anything, I'll just consider it a lesson in not researching thoroughly before purchasing a component :p

Thanks again!

Back