• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming optical mouse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac42

I know that optical mice are much more precise than older ones, but are there any that are good for gaming? I need something with a high refresh rate (135Hz or higher) and preferably 4 buttons. Someone suggested a "Viper", but they couldn't remember who made it... anyone know?

personally i get optical mice not because there more precise but because they dont wear out nearly as easily because there are no moving parts. this alone makes it worth the investment.

MS Intellimouse Optical or Intellimouse Explorer (wired, not the wireless one).

not that one. The logitech DUAL OPTICAL. Works much much better. I've even read a ton of reviews on it, and 99% of the sites rated it 5 out of 5. the other 1% rated it 4.5/5.

the dual optical really isnt much better for gaming, i read a review..ill look around for it, on the two, they said the dual one isnt any more precise than the microsoft one...the microsofts have alot better feel to them also, the v 3.0 intellimouse explorer is cool, alot more precise, but the older version (not the white one, but the silver one) has alot better grip, and is still a good mouse, but the newest version is excellent for gaming

I like the Logitech mouseman wheele USB. It's optical, so it;s accurate, and it's USB so it's got a response time that I noticed WAS and IS better than PS/2. And it's only like $25 now I think.

-Shaun

Go to a store like best buy and try all of the opitical mice they have on display and pick the one you like best. Most opticals have a refresh rate that is plenty high enough these days. So what ever fits your hand best and has the feadtures you want.

Royal said:

not that one. The logitech DUAL OPTICAL. Works much much better. I've even read a ton of reviews on it, and 99% of the sites rated it 5 out of 5. the other 1% rated it 4.5/5.

Yeah, but the Logitech is only two button. So that knocks it out of the running for me. And he said he would prefer one with four buttons (same as I do). That pretty much eliminates all of the Logitech mice if I'm not mistaken.

i have a microsoft optical intelli mouse
works great i play counter-strike. It spins out if you move it too fast. Like shaking it aggresively. Which no one does playing games so it should be fine. My friend loves his explorer 3.0 it seems cool i want to grab one too. Mine been working for such a long time its great =) never tried logitech but my friend has both he said his microsoft one works a hell alot better

Mine never spins out :-D you see I am logitech all the way.
I used Microsoft ones once, they spin out whenever you put them on certain colord surfaces.

-Shaun

Intrepid6546 said:
mouseman wheele has 4 buttons, the scrol wheele is a button, plus 2 regular and a thumb button.

-Shaun

I wasn't really counting the wheel as a button. 5 buttons then if you want to count the wheel as one.

I like my Sony optical mouse witha builtin memory stick reader. It has a standard mouse shape but instead of a wheel it has a rocker switch! It provides much more precision than any wheel I've tried.

Ah! this is a good time to bring up a problem of mine:

I was using an intellimouse optical on USB. After a few months the mouse would seem to stop working (light went off) and then turn on again a few seconds later. VERY frustrating! I tried it on every USB port and even got a new psu. So I went out and bought a logitech optical... Once again after a few weeks or so the mouse started acting up again.... Am I too hard on them and turn these mices into pieces? :rolleyes:

I use the MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer for Max Payne and Soldier of Fortune. It works great for me and feels good in my palm!:D

I'm lookin to trade in my logitech USB keyboard for a logitech wireles. Don't know about where I'll ever get enough money though.

-Shaun

my $20 logitech from walmart does just fine
dunno.gif

Back