• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slotket question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Does a slotket allow me to control the FSB and multipler independent of the motherboard so that I can have my CPU running at 133 mhz FSB and the rest of my system at 100mhz (so I don't fry anything)? If so, then do I still contol the rest of the motherboard's setting from BIOs? I have a PII 300 and am looking to go to Celeron 533A or 600 (slot1-> fcpga). What's a good slotket?

Yes, ummm yes, and Abit. What doesn't come out in the wash will come out in the rinse -- spend the $15.00 and at least upgrade the CPU regardless of overclocking ability.

IMHO, I'd avoid the Abit !!! slocket. A lot of people here have been having problems with that one...mostly stability. Others have noticed they've been able to overclock to higher numbers after replacing the Abit with a different brand.

Some other choices;

Soltek SL02A++
Iwill II
Asus (why can I never remember their model #....)
MSI MASTER 2.0

My $.02

Mr B

Mr B (May 23, 2001 03:03 p.m.):
IMHO, I'd avoid the Abit !!! slocket. A lot of people here have been having problems with that one...mostly stability. Others have noticed they've been able to overclock to higher numbers after replacing the Abit with a different brand.

My $.02

Mr B

Well, I have to agree -- I was not able to get my celeron 667 to run with the abit... didn't think it was the slotket though, so I returned the CPU... Mr B definitely has experience behind him. I gave up and just bought a slot one CPU until I go dual proc at year end... sorry for the uneducated advice, somtimes named brand carries traditions that are not always the truth. Abit has been my choice in motherboard, but not everything they touch is gold (Sony makes great home entertainment systems but I think their CDR drives suck).

As far as I know what rules the FSB is the PLL on the mobo, not the CPU. With my sloket you don't have other choice than going with the same FSB, and I haven't seen no one that could make that the sloket and the mobo run asyncronous.

I have an Iwill II sloket and has done a good job with my PIII550E@731. From what I have read Iwill and Asus are the best slokets.

Pinky (May 23, 2001 03:18 p.m.):

My $.02

Mr B

Well, I have to agree -- I was not able to get my celeron 667 to run with the abit... didn't think it was the slotket though, so I returned the CPU... Mr B definitely has experience behind him. I gave up and just bought a slot one CPU until I go dual proc at year end... sorry for the uneducated advice, somtimes named brand carries traditions that are not always the truth. Abit has been my choice in motherboard, but not everything they touch is gold (Sony makes great home entertainment systems but I think their CDR drives suck).

Good intentions, Pinky....Abit makes some great mobo's, this slocket just has had some problems...

I've been here for a while, and have seen a lot of posts concerning these...you develop a memory as to what is and isn't good over time, and experience.

I learned all I know in this forum, and working on my own "creations". I was a newbie once, too. Made a lot of poor choices in parts and pieces along the way...got a closet full of stuff =)

Mr B

I must admit the only coments and reviews on abit slockets have mentioned instabilities at high speeds.
I use an Asus s370-dl which I have never had any problems with but as it is the only one I have used I can't say it is the best only that I have never been aware of it if you inderstand my meaning.

From what I understand, Powerleap makes the most versatile slotket adapters available, the PL-iP3. But at $40.00 apiece.... I dunno.

I have had great luck with both Asus and MSI slockets. The slocket will not let you run at a different fsb then what your mobo is at. Some slockets have a jumper for fsb speed but that is only to request that fsb from the mobo for example to force a 700e to run at 133fsb and overide the cpu's 100 fsb request. I find that the best slockets have a chip on them, looks something like a single memory chip these usualy are the most flexable in settings and just work better.

Some other choices;

Soltek SL02A++
Iwill II
Asus (why can I never remember their model #....)

MSI MASTER 2.0

My $.02

Mr B

I have to agree with mr B, i have 2 abit slockets and one wont do 133 fsb and the other one is ok at best at 133 fsb. i'm gonna buy a msi or a soltek when i'm not broke anymore.

I have had the opportunity to use both Asus 370-133 and MSI 6905 slokets. I would go with the MSI. Using the MSI sloket lets me run both 3dmark 2000 and prime95 at the same time at 117 fsb which the Asus somehow can't. Maybe the 370-dl is more capable but you can't go wrong with MSI.

im using an IWILL Slocket 2 and its stable as a rock! i love it! im gonna kiss it cuz i love it ;)

Got both the Abit and Iwill II.........definitely the Iwill.....

[img=[URL]http://members.asianavenue.com/PhAt_B/PHATXARA2.gif[/URL]]

Got both the Abit and Iwill II.........definitely the Iwill.....

[img=[URL]http://members.asianavenue.com/PhAt_B/PHATXARA2.gif[/URL]]

WATCH OUT, i have the asus slocket and it is good, the only problem is that you cant control the FSB on the slocket, only the volatge

Back