• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott S478 275x16= 4.4Ghz! Safe??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCS911

here is my Prescott overclocking, is this safe voltage to run at or should I lower for 24/7? thanks for answers!

CPU275.JPG

With the cooling in your sig? Fine! What is voltage set in bios? With my Max3 and 478 Pressy's I ran voltage up to 1.5875 24/7 without issue. Nice OC BTW!

OCS911 said:
BIOS 1.56, if it's fine at V1.5875 then maybe I should try 280FSB what do you think?
Push it till it screams! The bigger thing to worry about than the CPU actually, is the mobo and the mosfets! The pressy's make them damn hot, what is your PWM temps like? You should reverse the PWM fan so it blows IN, should help to reduce temps and definately sink the fets on your board if you have not already! Lastly, get that sucker FOLDING! :D

I took that OTES fan out too darn loud but I did sinked all mosfets, I want to push it more but very concern about PWM since it is a bit warm, maybe I will get 120mm to blow-in those suckers and push it more later, thanks for the info guys!

if your going to push the vcore id highly recomend actively cooled fets. ive had 2 ic7 series boards crap out on me when id push the vcore around 1.6v even with the fets sinked ive still managed to pop 2 of them :bang head:

Wow! If this baby's stable, it really is an excellent S478 3.2 P4E non-phase-change OC, IMO.

Well done. :clap:

If this is representative of the Pressy S478 E0 steppings in general, then it looks like the continuing refinement we're seeing in the LGA775 5xx/6xx series may also be occurring in the S478 packages, too.

Oh yeah...as long as the proc's temps are OK, your 1.536V actual is fine, cpu-wise. The general '24/7' rule-of-thumb some peeps use is:

Air = ~1.5v
H2O = ~1.55V
Phase = ~1.6V

The above are actual Vcores - Settings are higher in the BIOS, of course, due to VRD specs.

Just some rough #'s for comparison, and definitely not set-in-stone. Actually, adequate cooling is often the predominant factor limiting Vcore. I've tried my C0 & D0's up to 1.55V actual, on air, but they were thermally limited, and couldn't run loaded at this high of a Vcore on air cooling.

As others have pointed out: These Pressys are pretty dayemm tough, & will probably take out an S478 mobo before you can kill the chip! :eek:

Strat

Back