• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler for overclock'd P4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

algram

Registered
Hello expert posters! :)

I need some help in choosing a right cooler for my Pentium 4 1.8GHz Socket 478.
I want to overclock it to 2.3-2.4GHz.
I Also would like the cooler not making too much noise while keeping the temps up to 35 degrees C.(if it's possible)

My price range would be up to 45$.

But the thing is, I'd like to get one which supports both 478 and 775 sockets.

Are there any?

I've read http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=1892216 and considered TT Spark 7 but I wonder if it's possible to find it now to buy one. But that cooler is a bit too loud while running at full speed (I found a video review somewhere), believe it.

Looking forward to your answers :)

The mounting points for a socket 478 heatsink and a socket 775 heatsink are different but some coolers (particularly waterblocks) have various mounting points to make them adaptable for many different sockets. I don't think the Thermaltake Spark 7 is, as it stands, usable on a 775 board. I suppose you could modify it to do so but it may be better to get a 775 heatsink for a 775 board.

I've had the pleasure of receiving some of the high-powered Thermaltake fans with the sensors and you are quite correct - at full speed they are very loud. It really depends what your goals are. I will say this: they are fun to play with :D

It's not too hard to engineer a switch to go from rheostat control (i.e. manual) to thermistor control (i.e. automatic).

Last edited:
I have a Big Typhoon on my 775 P4, it fits 478 as well, is extremely quiet, and keeps it at 40*c at full load OCd to 4ghz. They typically run in the $30 range.

thank you for the replies :)

I think the Scythe Mugen 2 would be too big for me and won't fit.

But Big Typhoon could be okay, I made a 122x122mm square and put it on my motherboard, centered at the CPU. The PSU can go a few mm left if I push it there.
dsc02016oba.jpg

Are there any smaller coolers that I could use in this case?:rolleyes: I mean, the noise up to 30dBA would be quite acceptable

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermalright-xp-120-cpu-cooler-p-16161.html

Just put this on my old p4 when I took my water cooling loop off it. Less than 50 degrees at load. Less than 35 degrees at idle.

Congo

I'd like to have up to 40 degrees at load.

Hey, what about whis one? http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/scythe-ninja-mini-rev-b-cpu-cooler-scmnj-1100.html

this is the MINI version that would fit in my computer case.

Note that my P4 is 1.8GHz and I'm going to o-clock it to 2.3-2.4 (at first :) ) so I think it won't make that much heat as higher frequency P4s. Am I right?:rolleyes:

You probably have a Wiliamete (I probably spelt it wrong :p) P4. I had a Northwood P4 and stuck a Prescott stock cooler on it. I never see temps over 50c on load.

Also the Scythe Ninja is a great cooler, I don't know if you can find it tho.

Here is a proven P4 performer, the Thermalright XP-90, but you'll need to pick up a fan, which with you concerned with noise, might actually be a good thing. :)

The pic shows the P4 clips attached to the cooler, but the text states that it is an LGA775 cooler. If it doesn't come with the S775 mounting, it can be purchased (see lower portion of the product page) for about $5. I do believe that it comes with it already, however.

http://www.svc.com/xp-90-21.html

The XP-90's big brother, the XP-120

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/thermalright-xp-120-cpu-cooler-p-16161.html

Zalman 7500 aluminum & copper cooler (comes with quiet fan and can also support S775. Price of $31.99 includes free ground shipping.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-7500AL

My preference of the 3 is the XP-120, but the XP-90 is pretty good, too.

I would suggest that you go the site linked below and see which of your available choices are rated better before you make your final decision. In addition to reviews of most heatsinks, they have a "Top 5" list that is updated regularly. Keep in mind that an LGA775 only heatsink might easily be modified to work on a S478 with nothing but a retention bracket available from the manufacturer for a nominal amount.

Most importantly, what might be a good S478 cooler may not be the best for LGA775 so if your ultimate goal is to move to the 775 platform, then choose the best cooler for the 775 that will work with S478, even if it requires the purchase of an additional bracket to make it work for you now.

http://www.frostytech.com/

Last edited:
thanks,

my original idea is to get a cooler that would keep this CPU http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL63X cool. Max dimensions of the cooler are 12Wx12Dx13.5H. Otherwise, it won't fit.

These two I posted in my previous post seem to be fairly good.

What do you think of them?

And after a few years I'd like to put the same cooler I'm looking for to this CPU http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR# . The current ZALMAN copper cooler (I can't find the model) doesn't seem to cool well. The temp is 71oC at load. I expect those two I mentioned would be better.

That p4 is only a 50w CPU, nice and easy to keep cool.

The mini-ninja is well liked by HTPC guys as it is small and has a very open design for fanless use, it should be able to deal with a q6600 decently, though i don't think you'd want to crank the OC through the roof on it.

The big typoon i have keeps my 90w p4 (oc'd from 3 to 4, so probably more like 110-115w) at 40*c case temp full sustained load, it should be able to deal with a q6600.
Really though, if a xigmatek hdt-1283 (or 1284) or sunbeam ccf will fit, you won't find better for the price.
If i get a chance i'll measure how far up from the mobo my 1283 stands, ideally this baby of mine will take an afternoon nap and i can measure then, otherwise he's likely to rip out the single most important part, and not touch anything else. He's amazing like that.

That p4 is only a 50w CPU, nice and easy to keep cool.

The mini-ninja is well liked by HTPC guys as it is small and has a very open design for fanless use, it should be able to deal with a q6600 decently, though i don't think you'd want to crank the OC through the roof on it.

The big typoon i have keeps my 90w p4 (oc'd from 3 to 4, so probably more like 110-115w) at 40*c case temp full sustained load, it should be able to deal with a q6600.
Really though, if a xigmatek hdt-1283 (or 1284) or sunbeam ccf will fit, you won't find better for the price.
If i get a chance i'll measure how far up from the mobo my 1283 stands, ideally this baby of mine will take an afternoon nap and i can measure then, otherwise he's likely to rip out the single most important part, and not touch anything else. He's amazing like that.

Yes, I read that Xigmatek's coolers are good, but the hdt-s1283 would be too tall for my case. (What damn cases thay can fit in if they don't go in standart ones??)

But what about the HDT-SD964 or HDT-S963 ? They would fit, they seem to have good opinions in reviews and tests but how could I mount them on my 478 processor? They all claim to support 775 but I have no idea how can I put them on my 478 CPU.

Also, please take a look at my motherboard photo some posts above- the CPU is not in the very center of the mounting mechanism. Is it a problem or not?:rolleyes:

I'd also say a Thermalright XP-90 or even XP-120 used would be perfect (if not overkill - but that's a good thing :) ). I LOVE how both of these HSF's "overhang" and blow air onto the passive NB sink. Win-win...

I'm pretty sure either would fit, as the additional dimensions of the XP90/XP120 essentially occupy the area within the MoBo's footprint (they overhang towards the Northbridge depending on orientation), and their height won't be an issue...

:cool:

I would have to agree with the ThermalRight options, but as far as the XP-90, I would actually go with an XP-90C. It is literally identical to the nickel plated XP-90, but all copper. According to some of the reviews I have seen, it is nearly on par with the Ultra 120A. It is set up for a socket 478 system, but a retention bracket for 775 can be had as well. I actually do have one, but am not looking to get rid of it, as it is in use. I have it in my wifes rig, which is a P4 530j running with a 675 MHz overclock. I could probably take the chip up to 4.0 or more, but the system doesn't really do too much to warrant that high of an OC. Even on the hottest of days, I don't think I have ever seen that chip go over 45C (and I am in Arizona, so I am sure you can imagine). I think the biggest thing contributing to the temps I have gotten, may be the Sanyo Denki Mini Ace fan I have on it, which is a 92x32 mm fan, so it does have a higher static pressure than your standard 25mm thick fans. Noise with this fan is also not an issue at all, since I can't hear it.

Also, idle at 40 seems a little too high for my liking. The P4 chip I was referring to earlier idles at low to mid 30's with ambient at 30C. Being a Prescott chip, it will run quite a bit hotter than your present one. I think you should be looking to idle in the mid to high 20's with that chip, which will give you some headroom for your overclocking, especially if you need to bump the voltage for stability.

You could reroute some of your houses air conditioner freon lines to your cpu block :)

I, also have an XP90 and XP120 in current systems. I really think the XP90 would be perfect for a P4 1.8GHz OC'd to 2.4GHz ;) If this was a P4 3.0E, I'd absolutely say XP-120 or higher, but the P4 1.8 is not anywhere near as hot as the "Preschott" 3.0E/3.2E, etc...

I'd still go big typhoon, highest temp i ever saw with mine on a 530j P4 OC'd to 4ghz was 40*c, and i can't really hear the fan at all even with the side of the case off. (The 40*c was with the case side on).

Maybe i missed something, but i think he wants to use the same cooler on a Q6600 once he upgrades. I know a big typhoon is up to that as my p4 was eating 110-120 watts (measured the draw on the 12v P4 connector).
Never used an XP90 or XP120, are they up for that?

Maybe i missed something, but i think he wants to use the same cooler on a Q6600 once he upgrades.

I missed that. I'd go for a used Ultra-120 (or a used full blown TRUE) if it would fit in his case (height seems to be limited in the OP's case)...

I know a big typhoon is up to that as my p4 was eating 110-120 watts (measured the draw on the 12v P4 connector).
Never used an XP90 or XP120, are they up for that?

Sure - My Q6600 is running @ 3.0GHz with the XP-120 in my HTPC. Stays well within comfortable temps. I also had a Preschott P4 3.2E @ 4GHz on an XP-120 - stayed below 60*C IIRC. The XP90 would indeed be a tad inadequate for an OC'd Q6600 IMO. I think I paid $20 for a used XP120, and lke $12 for the used XP90. You could likely score a used Ultra-120 for around $40 (right in his price range).

I'm a Thermalright kind of guy - can you tell? ;)

:cool:

I'm beginning to suspect :p
$20 for that capable of a cooler is a good deal, i approve of that line of thought!

Back