• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't install Ubuntu on Asus P5B-Deluxe ?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GigaHertzAddict

For some reason I can't install Ubuntu on my PC. I tried installing it on 3 other computers using the same disc without problems. My main PC in the sig below won't work. I can't even get into the install screen. Basically I hit install/run and then I get a bunch of text saying error error. So strange. Can anyone help?

Also I'm running ubuntu on a Celeron 2GHz 384MB ram and it's SO slow. Is this normal?

GigaHertzAddict said:
For some reason I can't install Ubuntu on my PC. I tried installing it on 3 other computers using the same disc without problems. My main PC in the sig below won't work. I can't even get into the install screen. Basically I hit install/run and then I get a bunch of text saying error error. So strange. Can anyone help?

Also I'm running ubuntu on a Celeron 2GHz 384MB ram and it's SO slow. Is this normal?

If I remember correctly, it's cause your board has a JMicron chipset. Check to verify, but I know that current linux distro's have issues with it. I am having trouble as well getting a distro to intall (finally decided to give an RPM distro another shot, and am installing openSUSE, though I had to fight a bit with it too)

GigaHertzAddict said:

Ubuntu isn't really made for performance is it.. with tweaking and stuff you can get better results but 'out of the box' it's not very fast, that's my experience anyway.

GigaHertzAddict said:

I tried running Ubuntu on my gaming rig which has an Asus P5W DH board, it also has the JMicron ATA controller and Ubuntu would not load on it. The Ubuntu developers are aware of the issue and promise a fix by the end of April at the latest.

Since I am really interested in Ubuntu vs Vista I went ahead and installed Ubuntu on my second "spare" rig which is a P4 805 with 512m of ram and a 5900 Ultra. I have to say that the default packages installed are rather bland but with some tweaking things look fantastic. It took me a while to figure out that I needed to install nVidia "restricted" drivers but once I did things became much faster. I will continue fiddling with Ubuntu until they fix the JMicron issues and then I will be installing on my main rig as a second OS instead of Vista. The Beryl desktop is fantastic and Synaptic package manager makes software installs just as easy, if slightly different, than XP.

klingens said:
Yes it's normal since you lack RAM. get 512 or better 1024 and it will be a lot faster.

True.
Another option is getting a performing distro or 'unbloat Ubuntu' until it performs well on this system.

<edit>
About the performance issue.. you can always try Xubuntu, Fluxbuntu, Elbuntu or well.. Forgetbuntu and leave the Buntufamily.

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps, but I have two ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo's running Ubuntu 6.10 64 bit (Edgy Eft) 24/7 folding SMP from an ISO I downloaded. I tried using a factory CD from Conical that was Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) and it wouldn't install. First I had tried the Dapper Drake with a master IDE HD and a slave IDE DVD Rom (only one IDE header on the P5B Dlx), no go. I installed a SATA HD drive in both machines and it will install Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft), but not Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) :shrug: I have heard of some problems with the JMicron Chipset, but maybe they fixed it in Ubuntu 6.10 :confused: I do know in order to run Linux SMP you need to DL the 32 bit libs when you use Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) As far as speed goes, I have SMPed in both Ubuntu and WinXP. In WinSMP : 2610=>26mins, in native Linux : 2604=13 mins even, both have 1760 points and both were done with a E6600 (OC'ed mildly to 2.7 GHz) 2 GB's of 667 DDR2 :rolleyes: The E6600 is in a Abit AW9D-MAX mobo, my E6400 (OC'ed 2.8 GHz) and my E6300 (OC'ed 2.4 GHz) both only have 1 GB of RAM (the E6400 = 6400 and the E6300 = 5300) The E6400's tpf (p2604) is a little more than 13 mins, the E6300's tpf (2604) is about 15 mins, both are in ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboards (I never tried WinSMP on either machine) Like I said, I don't know if this is going to help, but if it doesn't try Fisty Fawn (SP?) I know I'm going to DL the ISO's (both 32 bit and 64 bit) when the "net" lightens up around my neighborhood. (probably around 3 AM :rolleyes: )

Subscribed.

Looks like everyone has you on the right track here.

@ jws

Linky to the Edgy Eft distro?
[lazy friday]

WarriorII said:
Subscribed.

Looks like everyone has you on the right track here.

@ jws

Linky to the Edgy Eft distro?
[lazy friday]

Hey thanx WarriorII, if it hadn't been for people like you I wouldn't have learned the little bit I do know. GO TEAM 32
Try the link below, it has just about every Linux distro know to man.
http://distrowatch.serve-you.net/ :attn:

jws2346 said:
I don't know if this helps, but I have two ASUS P5B Deluxe mobo's running Ubuntu 6.10 64 bit (Edgy Eft) 24/7 folding SMP from an ISO I downloaded.

How did you get Ubuntu 6.10 to recognize the Marvell Yukon Ethernet adapter on the P5B Deluxe? I spent most of Saturday on that issue and eventually gave up.

Had same problem with an Intel board that has that IDE controller. It wouldn't find my cd-rom drive after booting from the disc. I did some research and found the beta version 7.04 (feisty fawn) works fine - loaded up both desktop and server versions with no kernel options, etc.

kel_p said:
Ubuntu isn't really made for performance is it.. with tweaking and stuff you can get better results but 'out of the box' it's not very fast, that's my experience anyway.

check out Xubuntu. its a bit more light weight and performance minded

TC said:
Had same problem with an Intel board that has that IDE controller. It wouldn't find my cd-rom drive after booting from the disc. I did some research and found the beta version 7.04 (feisty fawn) works fine - loaded up both desktop and server versions with no kernel options, etc.
I tried the Feisty Fawn 7.04 beta, but it bombed on the JMicron controller so it just locks up on boot--the install never even starts. I know they're working on a fix for the JMicron controller for the final of Feisty Fawn and the interface with the Marvell Yukon (you can't) is also supposed to be fixed, so....

FWIW, I was amazed that there are so many compatibility problems with Ubuntu and Asus boards. When I put Ubuntu 6.06 on my DFI Expert board last year it was almost completely painless.

That's weird - this 965 board I've got has the exact same jmicron controller and 7.04 loaded without a hitch. Maybe you could try the "generic ide" switch at boot?

TC said:
That's weird - this 965 board I've got has the exact same jmicron controller and 7.04 loaded without a hitch. Maybe you could try the "generic ide" switch at boot?
Well... at this point I put Windows back on the machine and it's running the Folding at Home Windows SMP client just fine (this is basically a folding machine, 'though when I get Ubuntu on it it'll also be my Linux play machine--something I can learn on and not worry about when I screw up and kill it). When they release the final Feisty Fawn later this month I'll try it again. In the mean time I'm just trying to get a better handle on what hardware Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular does and does not work well with and what "fixes" are available if any.

I suffered the jmicron blues as well, with my P5B and also my 2 DS3's. In my case, I think it was a combination of 2 different factors:

1. wrong distro
2. wrong disk controller settings in the BIOS.

Using 6.06 LTS or 6.10 AMD64 desktop distro version works on all my PCs.

MVC said:
Well... at this point I put Windows back on the machine and it's running the Folding at Home Windows SMP client just fine (this is basically a folding machine, 'though when I get Ubuntu on it it'll also be my Linux play machine--something I can learn on and not worry about when I screw up and kill it). When they release the final Feisty Fawn later this month I'll try it again. In the mean time I'm just trying to get a better handle on what hardware Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular does and does not work well with and what "fixes" are available if any.

Outside of the JMicron issue I have not found anything besides a 2Wire wirelss USB modem. I messed around with NDiswrapper but figured it wasnt worth the time when I could just plug in a 3 foot Cat5 cord and be done with it. In fact Im writing this on my second rig which I mentioned earlier in the thread. I don't even turn on my gaming box now unless I want to get in some game time. Eventually I will look at Cedega and try going all Ubuntu.

Things that worked "out of the box" on the first boot of Ubuntu:

• Motherboard and all built in components
    Audio
    Internet NIC
    USB keyboard and mouse
    Video card (though I chose to use nVidia proprietary drivers later )
    ATi TV Wonder (installed TVtime and it works better than WinXP software)
    HP Printer

In every instance if something was not recognized, like the HP Printer, the setup was basicly the same as WinXP; System/Preferences/Printing/Add Printer. Drivers for everything else were loaded by default, couldn't be any easier.

What didnt work ?
Not much. I had to edit the xorg.conf file to set my monitors refresh rate. Took about 10 minutes of reading and 3 minutes to actually edit the file. Other than that everything runs great. At some point I may tackle the wireless USB card again but I will probably just look at the Compatible hardware list and buy a wireless card supported by Ubuntu natively....

I just don't understand it :shrug: , I have two P5B Deluxe motherboards, both have the JMicron thing and both are running and have been running Ubuntu 6.10 folding in Linux SMP for quite some time (24/7 for at least a 2 months). I noticed with only one IDE connector (P5B Deluxe) I had to add a SATA HD and I never did get 6.04 to install (even with a Conical factory disk) I don't know "jack" about wireless stuff, but I know after editing my resolv.conf file (I have Qwest DSL) I just hooked up my router and it connected to the Internet like a charm. As far as I'm concerned, for the beginner, Ubuntu any flavor, is the best distro for them :thup: (just remember after 6.04 to install the 32 bit libs to use the Linux SMP client) Go to http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy
(there seems to be a page for 6.04 and 6.10) use their sources listings, install the "browse as root" tip and Ubuntu is almost like Windows in the "point and click" category. (still lacking in games though :bang head ) I go to the login window and have it automatically boot up with no sign in (I'm lazy :p )

Edit: I just noticed the post above me and I feel the persons pain. I was going to be shrewd and use the USB connection on my Actiontec modem to keep from getting a more than four point router. Not good, I couldn't for the life of me get my PD 805 to recognize the DSL connection in Ubuntu :bang head , so... I have one machine folding with the WinSMP client and is it slow... (I've read where the WinSMP client is slower than the Linux SMP client, this reading was done in our very own Team 32 folding forum) When I first tried the WinSMP client I didn't think it was that much different in folding speed, but I've since rethought that statement :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back