• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding install on Ubuntu 22.04

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I tried this earlier today, and somehow managed to screw it up. I got the Nvidia driver installed OK, and then FAHClient And FAHViewer, but FAHControl gave me dependency errors for python-gnome and pythong-gkp2 (letters may be in wrong order).

Then I tried this guide: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36824 Which went fine until step 6 for "FAHControl & exit" an which point I got a crash error report.

Rather than trying to unmangle it, I'm doing a fresh install of Ubuntu.

That said, will the guide work if I'm working from a fresh install of 22.04? The reason I'm asking is because just about every time I try and work with Ubuntu, and use a guide for setting something up and installing, it usually has glitch or something worse happening.

Also, is there an easier way of installing the driver than blacklisting the default one, and then having to boot into the console and install the new one?

Thanks!

One of my PC is running 22.04 and I used that guide...Do a regular install instead of minimal and the nvidia drivers should be installed and then you can just choose the newest one. Then you can uninstall the apps you do not want. The minimal install requires you to download the drivers on your own.

T, you did do step 3 correct? That gets Python 3 working. You only need that second file.

That is a good guide and I did 3 installs with it.

Last edited:
I tried this earlier today, and somehow managed to screw it up. I got the Nvidia driver installed OK, and then FAHClient And FAHViewer, but FAHControl gave me dependency errors for python-gnome and pythong-gkp2 (letters may be in wrong order).

Haven't gone with Ubuntu 22.04 yet, but what has works for the python dependency in 20.04 is to download & install python-gtk2_2.24.0-6_focal_amd64.deb with the gdebi package installer.

Then I tried this guide: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36824 Which went fine until step 6 for "FAHControl & exit" an which point I got a crash error report.

Rather than trying to unmangle it, I'm doing a fresh install of Ubuntu.

That said, will the guide work if I'm working from a fresh install of 22.04? The reason I'm asking is because just about every time I try and work with Ubuntu, and use a guide for setting something up and installing, it usually has glitch or something worse happening.

Also, is there an easier way of installing the driver than blacklisting the default one, and then having to boot into the console and install the new one?

As Dave just suggested(above). I never blacklist the Nouveau video driver, but if the Nvidia driver is broken I "Ctrl-Alt-F1" into a tty and perform the following:
Code:
dpkg -P $(dpkg -l | grep nvidia-driver | awk '{print $2} ')
apt autoremove
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-510 nvidia-dkms-510

One of my PC is running 22.04 and I used that guide...Do a regular install instead of minimal and the nvidia drivers should be installed and then you can just choose the newest one. Then you can uninstall the apps you do not want. The minimal install requires you to download the drivers on your own.

T, you did do step 3 correct? That gets Python 3 working. You only need that second file.

That is a good guide and I did 3 installs with it.

I did the regular install.

I did step 3, but only after I'd tried the other file. However I was able to uninstall it as a broken package before I did the Python3 file

The new install went easier, and I got the Nvidia driver switched to 510 without issues.

But this is the error when I type FAHControl in the terminal.

error.jpg

Any suggestions? At this point I'm wondering if I should go with @ihrsetrdr suggestion of going with the Python2 version and install the depedencies first.

Well I got it installed and working. But I wound up using Ubuntu Software to search for and install it. It looks right. I had to install a CUDA work kit to get it to fold on the GPU instead of the CPU.

Now I just have to figure out how to get more than one card in it and have it boot up. I'm pretty sure it is jumpers that need to be switched.

Back