• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on latest Linux distros 2019-2020?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I'm running Manjaro (Arch based), not Ubuntu. Any recent info on getting GPU FAH to run on AMD GPUs? Not buying any nVida cards for awhile until they get more reasonable prices. AMD has open source drivers while nVida is still propitiatory. Not that I have a problem using non free software in Linux. I tried using nVida drivers 430 and 390 on my daughters PC and it was a disaster. Ended up using Timeshift to restore it to operating conditions with the xorg driver. I don't trust those generic nVidia drivers now. At least I have Timeshift to restore my system if I break it lol.

Do not know anything about the linux AMD support. suggest you search in the Folding Forum.

Perhaps the nv driver issue with your distro is related to the distro.

All my hosts are running LTS Ubuntu desktop 1604 and 1804. Just checked a U1804 host with GTX1060/1070, which is showing open source nvidia drivers 390, 410, 415, 430 and 435 as available under the "software and updates additional drivers". Pretty easy to get nv gpus folding on Ubuntu these days using ppa drivers. The "run" files from nvidia can be installed for drivers not available in the ppa, but best used on a clean install that has never had ppa driver installed.

FAH seems to be static now and nv centric except in windows. AMD folds fine in windows and most of the how to fold Linux is not recent. I suppose the FAH team must focus on the actual algorithms and not on driver issues in rarely used OSs. I'll just have to install FAH in Manjaro and try and get it to work. Hope I don't trash too many WUs in the learning process.

Ya know, I've been trying to fold with AMD GPUs for quite some time. I have scoured every nook and cranny that is the internet to no avail. That has always troubled me not only because I would like the choice but because I'm an engineer and (in my opinion) it's a broken system. That being said, after all this time I just decided I would rather fold than make a statement as it were. It's probably been a few months since I've done much research on it so I'll take another gander when I get back home. To the cure!!!

I think fah is optimised for CUDA which makes nVida the king of GPU folding ppd. AMD works in Windows, but not sure they even work in Linux. Will have to get the client instslled in an ARCH based distro and then fire it up with my AMD cards. BTW bitcoin mining is starting up again and Newegg is price gouging again.

I have tried multiple times to get folding working on AMD gpus in Linux and never succeeded. I have found every tip and trick the internet has to offer to no avail. Its unfortunate because Vega cards actually fold pretty well on newer work units so I would pick up some cheap used ones if I could just get them to run on linux.

The current GPU folding cores (x21, x22) both use OpenCL.

Indeed they do, but like squads I've been all over the interwebs. I've tried installing the proprietary drivers. I have tried manually installing OpenCL. I'm certainly open to trying again as the AMD GPUs look to be capable of good numbers.

there is quite a bit of good information in that thread. I have tried some of those tricks to install legacy OpenCL without success, but I may have had issues with using an incompatible kernel. Maybe I'll give this another shot when the depth of winter hits

Edit: Still working on the GPU.

OK... I've smashed it, I think. This is on Debian Buster. Probably also work for Ubuntu and Mint and other Debian derivatives. From my notes:

Download from https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/ (Client required, viewer optional and control would not install.)

Code:
sudo dpkg -i fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb # (IIRC)

The install will ask for your name, key and team number, so have these ready. When the install is complete, it will kick off CPU folding.

To get GPU folding working, I had to install an additional library

Code:
sudo apt install libcuda1

I had also installed another package previously which I thought might be needed.

Code:
sudo apt install libglu1-mesa

After that I just needed to run

Code:
FAHClient --gpu=true

That last command prints a bunch of stuff to the console and just seems to hang there. At present it looks like

Code:
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Project: 13794 (Run 3, Clone 16, Gen 25)
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Unit: 0x000000230002894c5d5d939fe8010746
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Reading tar file core.xml
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Reading tar file frame25.tpr
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Digital signatures verified
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Reducing thread count from 7 to 6 to avoid domain decomposition by a prime number > 3
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Calling: mdrun -s frame25.tpr -o frame25.trr -cpt 15 -nt 6
02:52:40:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Steps: first=62500000 total=2500000
02:52:41:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Completed 1 out of 2500000 steps (0%)
03:04:01:WU00:FS00:0xa7:Completed 25000 out of 2500000 steps (1%)

If you're going to install Linux specifically for folding, I'd be inclined to go with the oldest supported version (Jessie?) The control GUI might run on that. Otherwise you can control using the command line (list of commands using "FAHClient --help".) You can also view some info and start/stop from "http://localhost:7396" This web page is available by default only on the PC on which the client is running but there is a FAHClient command to modify that.

Edit: This is on an AMD RX-570.

More Edit:
OK, I think I've smashed folding on the GPU. I modified the config file accordingly:

Code:
hbarta@olive:~$ cat /etc/fahclient/config.xml
<config>
  <!-- Client Control -->
  <fold-anon v='true'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <gpu v='true'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'/>
  <team v='32'/>
  <user v='HankB'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'/>
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
</config>
hbarta@olive:~$

I set "gpu v='true'" and added a slot for the GPU. The Web control now shows progress for both CPU and GPU.

Ahhh... No. The GPU seems not to be active - stuck at 0: and trhe spionner is static. I need to work with this some more.

Last edited:
I'm digging Manjaro Linux. Too bad GPU FAH doesn't work for AMD GPUs in Arch distros. nVidia is dead to me until they get more reasonable prices.

Back