• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 install on Ryzen system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tjrob2000

Hi, new to this forum and to Ryzen systems.

I have an old Asus rig that is dying so I decided to upgrade rather than try finding an old MB. I bought an Asus x570-plus with a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16G of ram. I've researched setting up a usb install stick with the USB 3.0 drivers and this has not worked. I used a gigabyte link that is supposed to integrate the drivers and I've used the Asus EZ installer to do the same, but the install always hangs at the logo. I'm trying a procedure from a thread here{ https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/781091-amd-ryzen-win7-iso-guide) and it mentions expanding the files from the install dvd. Not all the files are extractable so my question here is to use this procedure to I have to painstakingly copy the files/folders that are not compressed and then extract files into the correct folders using a tool like 7-zip? I have been searching on this all day and have not found a definitive answer. The dvd I have does not have a single iso file.

Tom

I do not think there are chipset drivers for the AM4 platform on Windows 7.

In my research I've seen many that are running win 7 in AM4 no problem. I'm just asking for clarification as to what I need to integrate drivers into the installation image.

The first question is, where do you get the drivers from? You can't integrate them until you can get your hands on them.

Update: Oh wow! Windows 7 drivers are still available for my B450 motherboard when I check MSI's website.

I'm really surprised. I was wrong. I guess I was thinking of the newer Intel chipsets.

I think what you want to do is called "slip streaming."

Could you build a DVD installer instead of a USB installer? I think Windows 7 pre SP1 could not be installed from USB because it did not contain drivers for that media.

Last edited:
So, there's no more use for this thread. I found a sticky here for URCDkeys and decided to get Win 10 Pro for $15. Installed last night w/o a hitch and the fastest install I've ever seen.

Regarding drivers, yes you can get the usb3.0 drivers and then supposedly integrate them. No way that I tried worked, but that frustration is in the dust bin now.

I have recently RE-learned that Win 7 does not like ACHI for the HDD. It drives me nuts.

FYI: Win7 goes EOL on 14Jan20 so it should be supported on all current hardware. You just have to watch your hardware settings to ensure that it will install.

I have recently RE-learned that Win 7 does not like ACHI for the HDD. It drives me nuts.

FYI: Win7 goes EOL on 14Jan20 so it should be supported on all current hardware. You just have to watch your hardware settings to ensure that it will install.

Really? I have not run into that problem with Windows 7. Some older computers had an AHCI bios setting that was actually an IDE emulation mode to be able to run the newer AHCI class hard drives when they came out years ago. The emulation mode probably negated a lot of the benefits of AHCI, however.

Back