• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

27" 2560x1440 Monitor Under $400!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That was the "Stand Removal" link I used as well. Worked well - I did end up with a few small gouges on the case from wedging it apart with a screwdriver - nothing major (I was kind of rushing the process TBH).

Make sure you observe the oreintation of the primary signal connector - I marked mine with a Sharpie before I yanked it. I took it back out to the Studio last night and re-tested it on the VESA Mount - Still works like a charm! :)

One complaint - the VESA mount isn't the most solid mounting I've seen. You can see the rear of the monitor's case "Flex" when moving/positioning the monitor on the VESA wall mount. I could see an accidental "stern adjustment" cracking the plastic VESA mounting points in a perfect storm...

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the monitor. I can see all 64 Input Meters and 64 Output Meters of my RME Audio card w/o scrolling! That in itself is worth the price of admission :p . I have so much more real estate for my Audio Projects in general - I love it!!! Just think - I was "THIS CLOSE" to dropping $850 on a similar 25x14 Samsung a few months ago!!!

I'll likely wait for a "Mainstream" Dell 27" 2560x1440 using these same panels later this year to upgrade my primary Desktop's Dell 2407WFP-HC. Rumor has it they will be around $500 close to October/November (just in time for X-Mas / Black Friday specials!).

:cool:

I have had my eye on these for awhile now, and am very close to buying one. I like the catleap, but am unsure if this is the right monitor for me. I have never had a IPS monitor and currently have a 23 inch led Asus. I mainly game on my pc and have heard mixed things about IPS when it comes to gaming. The response time scares me a bit, my current monitor has 2ms compared to the 6ms. I need to order a new monitor this week because I am selling my current one to a friend. Any advise would be appreciated.

Well, for starters, the 2ms and the 6ms rating are both marketing B.S. If they were real actual numbers, anything below 16ms would be indistinguishable on a 60hz display, as that is how quickly the pixels must change to show 60 frames in a second. There are only two arguments for TN panels that i can reasonably see over IPS screens, the lower cost, and the expensive 120hz monitors.

Best thing you can do is find a store with panels on display and see what you like the look of. I will probably bring trolls out of the woodwork for saying this, but the only monitor you will find here in the states as a stand in for the catleap variants is an apple cinema display 27". And in an effort to appease said trolls, im not saying you should expect these ~200$ (thats what they actually cost, almost half the price is shipping and ebay user profit) monitors to look as good as an ACD, but realistically, since they use the exact same lg panels, they are gonna be close, barring possible backlight unevenness and default color calibration.

Purchased the Achieva Shimian with perfect pixel grantee and square trade 3 year warranty off ebay about 2 weeks ago for 450 total. Arrive this past week and must say, it's fantastic. This is my first non TN panel monitor, and using it side by side with my Samsung 26in LCD, there's just no comparison.

Had to buy a 680 to go along with it for some 2560x1440 Crysis 2 action =P

Highly recommended. Just don't do like me and start pondering three of these bad boys in portrait mode...

I don't think that warranty covers international products like this. May want to double check.

Squaretrade now claims that they will, but nobody on ocn has used it yet. Hopefully if anyone here needs it, they get it.

More importantly my monitor is now listed as with the delivery courier!

almost all new games cant get 120fps so theres no point in 120hz, even 5 years down the road it wont get that much fps.
ok i take it back, if you lower all the setting to ''low'' then you can but who would want to play like that

just bought mine from ebay off green-sum, the Q270 SE with the perfect pixel option, I'm also thinking of purchasing the 3 year squaretrade warrenty,

I called in and told the representative that I'm recording him, he said they will definately cover the monitor... I said I'll use this in small claims court later if my warrenty gets denied and he said there won't be a need for that as they will cover it 100%. So I have some form of backup if they try to reject the warrenty.

My worst nightmare is if it gets here and the screen is smashed, or if the display was dropped and theres a huge discoloration in one spot of the screen as a result, that would really really really really suck and I don't know what I'd do at that point... Do I call paypal? The shipping is NOT insured....

If anyone is thinking of getting this screen from an independent agent that can shop on korean websites, shipping costs $120, and that's uninsured..... So even if you get it for $230 (cheapest Ive seen) you add the 120 and you're already in for 350, then you add the transaction fee and thats another 30, you come out to $380 and this isn't even for the perfect pixel version.... I went with perfect pixel on ebay for $391 and plus i'll get the squaretrade warrenty too.

Damn, I just purchased a LG E2750V-PN for $299 and it's not half the monitor that those are! The LG only does 1920x1080 and was $20 :bang head:

I think I'll try sell it to a mate for $150 or something so I can get one of these. If there's anyone on here in Brisbane who wants it let me know?

EDIT: WOOT! My mate wants my current LG. I guess at $150 it is kind of a steal.

Last edited:
You wont have to, but you will be turning down the graphics settings, the core and the ram are both stressed pretty hard even at 19x12, 2560x1440 is signifigantly more intense.

Hmmmm. Would my psu be big enough for a second 6870? I'm kind of doubting it. If a single card is the go then what is big enough?

My brother is running a bloomfield i7 and a pair of 6870s on my old antec neopower 550, though he doesnt overclock much. I can give you some numbers from a single 6970 in the next day or two when I get my catleap set up. But id imagine if you want high graphics, you are looking at 580/7870/7950 territory, or the 670 when nvidia releases it.

Damn..... Thats a shame. Maybe I'll just turn down the settings and see if I can live with it :(

Ok, I've purchased the Yamakasi Catleap Q270 SE. Should have it next week or the following week. :D

I hope I don't have to upgrade my video card :shrug:
You will. At 2560x1440 in a lot of games, 1GB of ram isnt enough with the highest settings. Even 2 6870's will still struggle because of the ram at that resolution. Textures and AA will likely need turned down, yup.

Got my screen set up last night, and all my worry about what could be wrong with it was for nothing, not a single dead or stuck pixel, smooth backlight uniformity, and less backlight bleed than my old dell 2405.

As expected, the stand is junk, but it holds the monitor up good enough that i dont see myself bothering to replace it.

You will. At 2560x1440 in a lot of games, 1GB of ram isnt enough with the highest settings. Even 2 6870's will still struggle because of the ram at that resolution. Textures and AA will likely need turned down, yup.

Hmmmmm, will it handle "high" settings insteal of "ultra"? Cards with more than 2GB just cost too darn much at the moment. :bang head

I don't like spending more than $200 on a video card. :(

Gotta pay to play at this res man...

BUT!!!!!! You can lower/disable AA since you have a lot more pixels and its not as pronounced on this screen, and turning things down to high will help with barely noticeable changes. ;)

6870 though is underpowered for BF3 on that monitor anyway. Buy another for Crossfire X is my take on that problem.

If you use the higher frequency, I'd guess it wouldn't fare very well. Sure the image is great, but I think they're now locked in to 60 Hz, plus I would suspect driving a higher resolution (2560x1440 = 3.7 MP vs 1920x1080 = 2.1 MP) would result in a loss of FPS? I'm not too sure, I don't game.

In other news, I am very upset at this monitor. When I printed out pictures, they did not look anywhere as good as they did on the screen! :rain: Now I need to figure out color profiles and what not.

There are online guides on how to unlock these for up to 100Hz operation ;)

There are ZERO ghosting issues at the stock settings, for the record. Its fine as is. Im not even going to bother upping it personally.

Back