• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

27" 2560x1440 Monitor Under $400!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unless the replacement pcb is cheeeeeaaaaap I wont be bothering either, they would practically have to give it to me...

Also, I played a bit of crysis, still one of the best looking games on the market imo, and it didnt like 4x supersample aa, I had to drop to 2x to keep it smooth, this res chews up my cards. The upside is its such a high res I coudnt see a difference between the two settings at all.

There's a YouTube guide on there somewhere. Found it Googling Cat leap. I wish YouTube hadn't replaced written guides :)

Same here, though these are tempting enough to almost sway me. I would jump on these if they were slightly different in 1 or 2 of the following ways. If it was 2560x1600 OR 23-24" instead of 27". If I could find monitors that fit both of those criteria id probably need a change of pants...

Wiz, why do you like 16x10 better?

I know I had a 32" for a while and it was just way too big, I reverted to a 27". Now this will be WAY better than my old 27" due to supporting a higher res on the same 27" screen size ;)

No idea..... Do you see a difference going from 60hz to 75hz? I want to know if it makes any real difference or not.

Regular 27" screens are the same screen res as TV screens, so good for watching movies and playing games...... Not so good for doing work on though as they really need to be taller for that

Regular 27" screens are the same screen res as TV screens, so good for watching movies and playing games...... Not so good for doing work on though as they really need to be taller for that

I mean sell my dell 3011, and just buy my self 3 of these 27'' IPS's

I'm confused. Why are they not good for doing work? My CRT is 21", so smaller than a 27". and it's fine for working. Is there some resolution issue I don't know about? My monitor's working space is taller than a piece of paper.

A 27" is a wider screen than the old computer sizes which were almost square in shape. The size is measured diagonally from corner to corner. If you're working on a word document then you end up not using half the screen on a widescreen and that screen real estate would have been better in being higher rather than wider. For movies and games on the other hand wide is precisely what you want.

Thats why most business grade screens are the older size and cost more due to a smaller production run, whereas consumer grade screens can be cheaper due to using the same size as TV's. One is mean for entertainment, the other office use.

A 27" is a wider screen than the old computer sizes which were almost square in shape. The size is measured diagonally from corner to corner. If you're working on a word document then you end up not using half the screen on a widescreen and that screen real estate would have been better in being higher rather than wider. For movies and games on the other hand wide is precisely what you want.

Oh right, I forgot they are rectangular! That makes sense. So for business apps, you have a lot of wasted space unless you have many documents open at one, which I sometimes to do.

SO how does gaming compare on a rectangular screen vs my square CRT?? I play FPS and RTS too

SO if you are are surfing with FF on a 27" monitor, is the text/webpage flush to the left? Or can you center it to accomodate for the extra width?

Wider is great. You can see more to each side so you're less likely to get killed in FPS. Think of your current screen as similar to having tunnel vision and only seeing straight ahead. The wider screen takes away that tennel vision so you cna see people shooting at you from the side.

Back