• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 10" notebook?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm going with the MSI Wind or Dell Mini-9 due to the ability to install OS-X on them and have everything work. :D

Even though MSI maes or used to at least make craptastic motherboards.......

I got the Acer Aspire One, and love it. Yes the battery life is roughly 2.5hrs but I usually am not far from a charger from more than an hour or 2 anyway so battery life doesn't matter much for me. I haven't really had any experience in any other small netbook besides the one HP made, witch looks really nice.

I got the Acer Aspire One, and love it. Yes the battery life is roughly 2.5hrs but I usually am not far from a charger from more than an hour or 2 anyway so battery life doesn't matter much for me. I haven't really had any experience in any other small netbook besides the one HP made, witch looks really nice.

That's good that you can handle being away from an outlet for that short of a time. Makes it lighter too with only a 3 cell battery on the AAO plus no bulge out the back and you have a bit more lcd-tilt ability.

I am looking at the NC10 and it looks nice but a little on expensive side. I am also considering the MSi Wind because its at BB and I have a $100 gift certificate there. It only has a 3 cell battery but I know theres a higher end with a 6 cell and also I have seen some 9 cell off of ebay. What do you think would an MSI Wind work with the 9 cell I see on ebay and would it have a good battery life? I dont really need big features I just want a decent size screen and keyboard and an excellent battery life.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9078534&type=product&id=1218016541018

I am looking at the NC10 and it looks nice but a little on expensive side. I am also considering the MSi Wind because its at BB and I have a $100 gift certificate there. It only has a 3 cell battery but I know theres a higher end with a 6 cell and also I have seen some 9 cell off of ebay. What do you think would an MSI Wind work with the 9 cell I see on ebay and would it have a good battery life? I dont really need big features I just want a decent size screen and keyboard and an excellent battery life.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9078534&type=product&id=1218016541018

Yes, it will work with the 9 cells on ebay. Depending on what you do, they should give you 7+ hours of battery.

Alright thank you. I just want something I can take to school and type of notes or surf the internet on so I dont need anything powerful I just dont like the idea of 3 hours of use. I like a larger screen and keyboard and apparently the Wind has a bigger keyboard than most of the Asus models. The three choices I was looking at were:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218016541018

MSI wind with the 3 cell battery. I can pick it up at local BB, have $100 gift card there but I have to pay taxes. Can eventually add another stick of ram and a 9 cell off ebay if I prefer. Seems the cheapest and adding the 9 cell would cost as much as the upgraded model with the 6 cell.

Edit: Wow I just saw a 9 cell, how big is this this going to be? I dont want a monster of a battery in there, that will just look stupid IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7200mA-Battery-...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152075

Upgraded MSI Wind with 6 cell already attached, wireless n and bluetooth. More expensive and taxes but free shipping. 6 cell supposedly has around 6 hours of life. Not sure if I would ever need wireless N or bluetooth.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NC10-14GB-10-2-Inch-Netbook-Processor/dp/B001I45TA8

Samsung NC10. Sort of more expensive than I wanted. $120 more than the MSI Wind from BB. Comes with bluetooth but no wireless N. Has 6 cell battery that reviews state can be used for 7-8 horus of internet use so it is very good for a 6 cell.

Last edited:
MSI wind with 6 cell is around 4.5-5hrs being more realistic. I believe there is the possibility of either getting the 5200mah or the 4400mah. 4400mah seems to be the one people are getting with the newer MSI Winds.

Bigger than the Asus models in what way? I didn't find that the keyboard on the wind was appreciably bigger/smaller than the Asus EEE 1000 models. The smaller-than-normal comma/period keys drove me crazy on the Wind.

The NC10 has a better keyboard layout than any other netbook, imo. The LG X110 is pretty damn close to the same also. It's a Wind clone but uses a better keyboard and a real touchpad (synaptics), not that Sentelic junk.

I heard the MSI wind had the best keyboard up until the NC10. The NC10 looks perfect but is $120 more than the basic Wind. I think I will wait to see if the Samsung drops because it is brand new so I am sure given a month or two it will drop.

I've used an EEE 1000HA and MSI wind (the newest model) and the MSI wind has the EEE beat.

Msi Wind is the best netbook (10") IMHO. I'm going to get one for college.

Yeah I am going to go to BB to try out that MSI Wind for $350. The big turn off though like I said is the 3 cell battery they offer in it. They offer a 6 cell but not at BB and its also about $80 more and by then its the same price as the Samsung which supposedly has up to 7+ hours of battery life. I might just give it a month and see if anything goes down in price, especially the Samsung.

The keyboard was excellent on the wind. just the clicking alone was better. Also the overclocking with the newest bios on the wind was also quite cool. I also thought the case was better built, I never really liked the EEE's design.

There are a few things the EEE has over the wind in that its easier to swap out ram. Overall they are very close, I just liked the wind more.

The thing about the 3 cell vs 6 cell is that the 6 cell has wireless N as well as a better hard-drive.

BB Didn't have any Wind to try out they're sold out completely. :(

I did see the newer Asus 1000 and they keyboard is a bit small . . .

frys has quite a bit of netbooks in stock that you could try out before buying

personally I went with the lenovo s10 now that the 6 cells are out

I went to a local BB by my work and they had one on display. I liked it and I offered $300 for the display model and they accepted. Take off the $100 gift card I got and I only paid $230 out the door. :)

Geek Squad is doing a clean restore to get rid of all the BB advertisement crap and I can pick it up tomorrow. Poor Geek Squad working on New Years. Good thing I'm off. ;)

poor geek squad? with all the people coming in on new years for the sales i am sure they are fine.

Do they get commission? I got paid off for New Years day. They didnt. I would go work for GS but I also got Thanksgiving AND the day after paid off, so I like my free health insurance, company parties with free prizes and many days off haha. Retail sucks.

Anyway on the laptop I just got it and I noticed it is wobbily. I looked under and one of the rubber feet was missing. Crap. I should have looked. I have never owned an MSI product do you think they would send me something like this?

Back