• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! i just shocked the sh*t out of my...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
donny_paycheck said:

6 of them, and I removed them.

OH thank god only 6!! whew!

considering i clicked the button 300 times when it didnt work. sometimes when the filter is turned off it goes as mayn times as you click the button. :eek:

I've gotta chime in on this. I painted my monitor, and I've had 2 monitors apart, without being hurt either time. My thing is:

Don't touch what looks like it shouldn't be touched, and you'll be OK.

theres a good website that shows you how to discharge the caps...

Btw- everyone needs a good shock now and then-

Ive been hit with around 10k voltage direct from a transformer-
I was numb all day- that sucked..... :D

The Spyder said:
theres a good website that shows you how to discharge the caps...
Link?

Personally I connect a lug to the grounding screw of a wall outlet or light switch, then I connect that via a long wire to a length screwdriver. Viola. Poor man's shorting probe.

Graphic67 said:

After that stunt, we may have to ask you to leave the state... :D

I thought all you guys started with "Hey hold my beer and watch this..."

:p:D:p:D:p

-Bobby

Hey now, don't mess with the dirty south son. Damn yankees. hehe j/k :) Actually I'm FROM St. Louis but lived in this dump of a town for most my life. NOTHING beats STL though.

just in case, if youre thinkin on opening that thing again, use THICK rubber gloves (might as well put on 2 pairs of em, one over the other) , THICK boots or shoes, and be VERY careful wile at it

i was going to post some acutall electrical inuries

lets just say i would have banned for a rank if i posted them here

they are pretty nasty

and side note i dont know what is up with the double posting lately

there was a similar question a while back and i thnk the best answer was to discharge all the caps etc. in the monitor. If you don't know how i think some computer shops can do it for you (safest bet..if you don't know what you are doing:p ) but then that would be UBER enough:eek:

"i thought discharging caps with an old well insulated screwdriver was common knowledge to anyone working on HV equipment that has caps."
The caps in a computer PSU store enough charge to melt the end of a screwdriver!

It's common knowledge for people who commonly work on said parts. Problem is, most modders don't have said knowledge.

Most monitors have a warning, but a lot of PSUs don't have any warning at all, although the danger is a bit less.

man u guys are scaring me, i have a habit of turning off the back of the PSU then i jump right into my computer's component, is that dangerous? crap, how do u prevent from getting shock.

i turn off the psu and push the on button. it kinda turns on and it turns back right away. i think thats safe. right?

uhh i dont even turn my psu off, i just jump straight in, nothing will happen (tho turning off psu is al whole lot smarter) if u know what ure doing , which is touching things that should be touched, not the cmos reset switch for example. anyway my psu's both broke and i wann *safely* steal some resistors from inside, any one got an idea, im thinking just leave em for a day or so

An ATX PSU won't have a charge in it after a few minutes, much less a day. If you unplug it and listen closeley you can hear the bleeder resistors drain the capacitors within 10 seconds.

donny_paycheck said:
An ATX PSU won't have a charge in it after a few minutes, much less a day. If you unplug it and listen closeley you can hear the bleeder resistors drain the capacitors within 10 seconds.

I actually did the calculations for an average PSU's discharge time using mesured values for the Caps and discharge circuits resistance I got from an old 300W PSU. I posted it a while back when people were fighting (i mean discussing) about how long to leave you r PSU unplugged before you can poke around in it. Someone had everyone believing you had to unplug it for a week or more...

It came out to roughly 8 or 9 minutes.

I use a modified naked PSU in my server case, so I can stand by my calculations.

Back