• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dice Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Durvelle27

Registered
I'm looking at getting into eXtreme cooling but never did anything like it before. I'm currently using custom water cooling with a FX-8350 but I want to push it further. Could you guys give me some pointers/tips for a beginner. Any info would be helpful. Also where could I find a nice cheap pot as I can't seem to find any. Thx. :)

Welcome to the Forums firstly and foremostly!!

Dice is great fun period. It'll leave you wanting more and more mhz, then off to LN2!~ And I'm serious. This can become addicting...

You got to do research. Everything is going to make a difference for highest cpu mhz....

Firstly you need a Great well known board that will not give you CB/CBB issues (Cold Boot), meaning after a certain temp ie: - 45c, the board fails to post or hangs during usage. Not so common on most boards, but there are a few. My Sabo rev 1.0 hated cold. about -20c and it just sat there. stone cold steve austin dead.

Now the board needs to be sealed. Front, back, nooks and crannies. Water in the form of condensation is just bad bad bad. Most guys use kneed-able eraser because it peals right off and they can sell the board later. Personally I permanently seal PCB and can go about running it naked for quick runs if at will that day. Squeeze in a quick hour with LN2. Stop run to the store, pick up kids, shower **** shave, kids in bed, wife in bed, LN2 all night, go to work like zombie..... But ya I use this permatex stuff. It's used in automotive withstands pretty low temps and pretty high temps too. Gasket maker as it where.... But to each their own on sealing.

The socket and Cpu MUST be jam packed with di-electrical grease or petroleum jelly. use lots. lots and lots. Use on near by fan headers and Cpu power plugs ram slots.... pretty much where ever is near the Cpu socket. To get the petroleum jelly to work with you, it loosens up real nice when warm. you can use a hair dryer and literally drip the cpu clean, be careful and use this device on low heat settings at least 6" away from the cpu pins.

Find a temp probe. you want to get it at the base of the pot or on the side of the cpu. I have one that comes with my Multimeter. This device is handy in 100 ways or more. don't have one, get one. It's a life saver around dying PSUs...

Run as little hardware as possible while you bench the Cpu. You don't need a big power hunger GPU to run a PiMod. You want to reserve all the 12v power for the Cpu while your running upwards of 1.8v-2.0v depending on DICE or LN2 cooling.

just some stuff off my head. Other heads here will add indefinitely more! Lot of great guys here. Do your research......

And Most Importantly, have fun!

PS
Also, if your looking for a dice pot, you would probably like to become a regular member here and after a while you will have access to the WTB/FS section of the forums. I do know there are a couple of DICE pots there for sale, but you must read the rules before making a transaction here as well.

Or you can make your own pot like I did - In fact I've made two so far but getting one from a place such as this (http://kingpincooling.com/products/) would be the best/easiest way to go. Don't expect these pots to be cheap, a good one will run you some $$'s to get but worth it.

It doesn't hurt to browse around the site and see what others do for prepping their stuff for sub-zero runs, you will see a difference between benchers and their methods of doing this but not a whole lot overall and the basics of doing it are always the same. Above all, when you do go for it, ask plenty of questions before and while doing it.

Nothing ruins the experience like a dead system because you missed a detail somewhere. I know when it comes down to it it's live and learn - So learn from those of us who've already paid the price in dead hardware so you won't have to.
That gets expensive but quick and I mean too quickly. :chair:

Back