• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monero, XMR (aka MRO)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update on the HD6870 and Claymore v5.0, 14.6 drivers: 240 h/s. That's about double the last time I ran this card with Monero.

Getting that dedicated mining rig going was a nightmare, but it's up and running. Turns out free bonus motherboards sometimes have issues like dead PCI-E slots. So, that board will never run six cards. Might not run five either - it did not take well to the presence short when I couldn't get the cards on USB risers working at first and let some magic smoke out. Working fine now without presence shorting at all, go figure.

Last edited:
usb risers come with presence pin shorted.

When they work. Apparently, the USB cables on the riser ends weren't quite in the connector far enough :bang head

Anyway, it ran fine all night... wherever the smoke came from, the board apparently could afford to lose it.

The 6870 has been yanked and replaced with a Club3D 7950, currently doing 420 h/s.

Found out the hard way when I tried to run that card with my Gigabyte 7950 with Stilt BIOS that I have actually never had any control over engine speed on that Gigabyte. It runs at 1150 all the time, and it refuses to downclock. The extra heat from the new 7950 below it was enough to get it to crash every time I tried to mine something. No drivers or utilities got control back... I had to switch back to the default BIOS.

So, either I had to get rid of the Stilt BIOS or go back to running the 7770 below that card. Didn't want to lose my Stilt BIOS just yet, so I booted the 6870 out of the office and gave the Club3D to that system instead. Probably for the best - the 6870 is the oldest card I have, and I have enough hashing power elsewhere that it's no longer absolutely needed.

Next card I get, I'll either have to de-Stilt the Gigabyte so it plays nice with others or move it to the dedicated mining rig where I can keep it cooler.

Edit - problem solved. The Gigabyte actually had the wrong Stilt BIOS. Got the right one now, and I have full control :D

Last edited:
When did pimp support come out? It's been windows only from what I can tell. At least for gpus

If you are mining monero and holding for longer term, consider mining at a pool that supports the dev team. Also, the list shows what fees are charged at most pools.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=653467

Also, i came across a link that claims to eliminate claymore's 5% fee. I am too scared to run mystery programs from the internet, but I would be curious if anyone has tried it.

Also, i came across a link that claims to eliminate claymore's 5% fee. I am too scared to run mystery programs from the internet, but I would be curious if anyone has tried it.

The proxy did seem to work when I tried it on a box I could afford to reformat if necessary. Not using it now.

I was thinking I wouldn't be able to cash out my XMR while on vacation, then I realized I wasn't soloing, so I could just transfer my wallet to my laptop. However that blockchain is big. Growing about 30mb a day, and I've only got about 500mb of tethered data a month.

Looks like I might be trying to make use of free wi-fi to update it.

(24GB for the blockchain now)

I was thinking I wouldn't be able to cash out my XMR while on vacation, then I realized I wasn't soloing, so I could just transfer my wallet to my laptop. However that blockchain is big. Growing about 30mb a day, and I've only got about 500mb of tethered data a month.

Looks like I might be trying to make use of free wi-fi to update it.

(24GB for the blockchain now)

24Gb?

Maybe you meant to say 2.4Gb?

IIRC my blockchain.dat is only ~1.8Gb...

24Gb?

Maybe you meant to say 2.4Gb?

IIRC my blockchain.dat is only ~1.8Gb...

Hmm...there are two files in my monero folder that are really large. One is 12Gb, the other is 24Gb. Based on their names one looked like it was from the command line wallet, and the other from the GUI wallet. I'm at work, but I'll look at them again when I'm home.

Hmm...there are two files in my monero folder that are really large. One is 12Gb, the other is 24Gb. Based on their names one looked like it was from the command line wallet, and the other from the GUI wallet. I'm at work, but I'll look at them again when I'm home.

Blockchain should be in %APPDATA%/bitmonero

At least, that's where it is on my rig.

Back