• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Won't boot unless CMOS is reset. Biostar A85W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
seems strange that biostar would give you the awesome post code readout then drop the ball and fail to include a post code chart ANYWHERE. its nowhere to be found... thought id found it but the link was dead

No kidding. Someone else on newegg reviews reported they had a non documented code as well.

well I found this however judging by your last response and the fact that your code isn't present here im gonna assume you've seen it already

edit: found this link... looks promising just need to figure out exactly which one of these lists to look through
http://www.bioscentral.com/postcodes/amibios.htm

Attachments

• biostarpostcode.PNG
    biostarpostcode.PNG
    27.4 KB · Views: 644
Thx for the link. C5 enable ROM disable cache. Idk what that means. On my phone so I can't run a decent search. Idk if it applies to this board either.

Thx for the link. C5 enable ROM disable cache. Idk what that means. On my phone so I can't run a decent search. Idk if it applies to this board either.

seems to me that indicates some sort of bios error which is somewhat inline with your symptoms. I think id try carefully reflashing the bios.
this guy is having(had?) a similar problem(at least the code is the same)
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/142953-post-code-c5-and-no-video/
meh not really helpful

these post codes are a little more up to date... their different anyway so maybe something to go on
http://www.postcodemaster.com/ami8.shtml

Last edited:
I'll try redownloading and flashing the original when I get home tonight. Not going to hurt, I have created an RMA through newegg. My builds unique...I'll post a pic of it later. Its not in a case but wall mounted on a board.

Looks like a bad board from that link.

Its not in a case but wall mounted on a board.

I've been wanting to do that for a while I have an idea for an open air case to hang on the wall I just have to get to tigging it together. along the lines of the inwin d frame style but triangular and made to hang in the corner showcasing the motherboard and what not.
as for the rma I think that seems like the way to go at this point

I really like the thought of open air. I was thinking sort of a mixture of these 2 pictures. triangular to fit in the corner. and still have a place to secure graphics cards and whatnot

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 636
  • DFrame2-300x200.jpg
    DFrame2-300x200.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 637
You might have a short or grounding issue... I'd take it all down and put it on top of a cardboard box and try it again before you send it back.

Cardboard and regular board are going to have similar conductivity levels don't you think. I feel like the ground comes from the power supply anyway

Well, thought I'd give you guys an update.

I think I've found the issue - Realtech HD audio drivers. I uninstalled that and I haven't had the issue since, plus some weird high disk usage has stopped as well.

Looked online and it seems that they cause other people grief too. It's still early to know for sure...I'll run it the rest of the week before I decide whether or not it needs to get RMA'd.

Sounds like it could be Vdroop. It's possible that enabling CPU load line calibration stops the cold boot failures.

I take back what I said. I powered down and now I have the same C5 no post issue. Dang it!

nice choice on psu... I think they just replace it although admittedly I don't know. I seem to remember one of the guys that usually answers questions here used to work for dfi in the rma dept. he may be able to shed some light here

Well I got the motherboard and processor back. Also a Samsung 840 250gb SSD. Got the OS installed and everything was working fine. Powered down last night and go to boot up this morning, same issue. Here is a video showing what happens and what I do to get it to boot. Remember, this does not happen 100% of the time.

Sorry for no talking and shakey camera, first video I've ever done that I put on youtube...

I've now got it plugged into a power strip now for s & g's.

Last edited:
Well I got the motherboard and processor back. = The same board and processor you sent off? Or can you tell for sure by say a different board serial number?

At times I have seen such conditions caused by the power supply. Either under-powered or the power good signal bad. And in some situations the +5V stand-bye was not sufficient to allow the board to begin start up before the power good circuit took over. The cure for most users was to get a different power supply.
RGone...

Back