• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win10 - cannot reset logon PIN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
A while back I couldn't remember my PIN code to log on, so I tried to reset it. I get the email security code, then get to the PIN reset screen, enter the new one, and then Windows says it's unable to reset my pin. I have to do this every power up or reboot now, which is terribly annoying. How do I disable the PIN code on Win10 and just use a password like I used to? I'm about ready to reformat the stupid thing to get rid of it.

try disabling windows hello for business under group policy editor (gpedit.msc)
i had to do this after an un expected windows update changed something that started asking everyone to put in a PIN or create one instead of logging in with their work email's and passwords.
these were asure joined systems however and that was the reason this was happening for me but i imagine azure joined or not, disabling windows hello for business might have the same effect on pins.

keep in mind this may also disable biometrics so fingerprint or that camera unlock might get taken out with it

Here is what I have for options on that screen. I'm planning on reformatting ASAP, though. Sick of this garbage.

1680660945693.png

Try going to Computer Management and see if you can set a password to your account, right click on Windows start then click on Computer Management and expand Local Users and Groups then click on Users then right click on your user account.

CM.jpg

I appreciate all the answers. I tried a couple but they didn't seem to work.

I nuked the OS last night and reformatted all the drives. A fresh Win10 install was done and now everything works as it should again.

Back