• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the benifit of 2 harddrives??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattatwar

Registered
i see nearly everyone on here has two hard drives, one big storage one and one small size one! what is the benifit of two cos i just dnt get it could u guys please help!! ive got a single 500gig samsund spinpoint!

Why? Well, I have a 150gig raptor for my main drive. They are pretty spendy compared to most drives and don't have that much storage. This allows me to just run my OS/applications on that drive and "offload" all my other files either to my RAID5 on the server or locally to my "storage" drive.

Honestly, it is up to you to decide if you want multiple drives. If you need the storage, then go for it. If you are doing it just to have two drives, I'd advise against it.

Why? Well, I have a 150gig raptor for my main drive. They are pretty spendy compared to most drives and don't have that much storage. This allows me to just run my OS/applications on that drive and "offload" all my other files either to my RAID5 on the server or locally to my "storage" drive.

Honestly, it is up to you to decide if you want multiple drives. If you need the storage, then go for it. If you are doing it just to have two drives, I'd advise against it.

my pc is just for gaming mostly does 2 make it load faster??

Its always handy to have the pagefile on a separate drive/channel as well. It speeds up reading/writing to the file.

OS, Apps, Games on the main drive. All my important stuff on my storage drive for safe keeping. I also back all my important stuff on a 3rd drive. I like to be safe :D

OS, Apps, Games on the main drive. All my important stuff on my storage drive for safe keeping. I also back all my important stuff on a 3rd drive. I like to be safe :D

Yea me too, got to make sure all my pr0n is safe :)

Some of us here have one drive for their OS and apps and a second for storage - mostly a high RPM drive like a raptor or solid state disk and a big 500GB or 750GB storage disk. The faster drive will make games load faster too I guess.

Some of us have two identical drives in RAID - those people are either using stripe raid or mirror raid (copy or span) -- those doing stripe will get a better speed and more usable space (yes games load faster).

Also no offense but we respect proper grammar here. ;)

i see nearly everyone on here has two hard drives, one big storage one and one small size one! what is the benifit of two cos i just dnt get it could u guys please help!! ive got a single 500gig samsund spinpoint!

To have each HD for a different reason. e.g. I have two HD's one's for Limwire stuff Other is for the rest.

There are other benefits as well as separating storage from windows. I have several drives a few are arrays but they could be seen as single drives for most purposes.

First thing I guess would be ripping files and rewriting them. On a single drive it takes twice as long. When ripped from one drive to another, neither drive has to wait to finish a read before it can write the files.

Another advantage is that you can install programs separately from your Windows installation on a second drive. If a program crashes, it will not crash windows usually and leave bad writes on your install. It also keeps C drive from fragmenting as much or as quickly, while saving space for windows. A drive or partition not written to will not fragment, so program files that are just read will have no fragmenting affect. The smaller the C drive or the less file contained there will greatly reduce defragmentation time.

A page-file can be placed on both drives so Windows can use the quickest one when it actually uses the page-file. Also this works well for rendering photos, having separate page-file or scratch file.

Lastly is organization, I know where everything is without searching. I have a partition for downloaded files, every download has it's own folder on that partition and over the years it has grown at least as large as my windows partition. It also makes for easier backups.

I have two at the moment in matrix raid. Your motherboard is capable of it, there is a sticky at the top of this section you should take a look at and see if it is something that appeals to you. I have been very satisfied with it. I will either be adding another 500GB drive for back-up or a NAS, still undecided at this point.

I have a second storage drive setup that is not part of my operating system partitions. Mostly it is used for (mapping it to) other machines on my network and other locations. It is nice since this machine is always on and it acts sort of like a NaS for that drive. If all the other machines are turned off. I don't ave to worry about waiting for a machine to boot or leaving another one on all the time. I can also install an OS from this machine too.

Much easier for me to handle permissions and such. The second large storage drive is very handy to have. I love my Raptor for the OS partitions.

My backup drives are sitting in a box. I only plug them in if I need to update them or recover files. If my OS gets borked somehow. I know my files are sort of safe.

I use 2 for a couple reasons. One I put the OS and apps on one and storage on the other. The other reason is if I have a problem with one of the drives (as I currently do) I can move down to one drive and not be out of business while I replace/ rma the defective drive. I keep a back up of Important stuff on my server and laptops as well as dvd/cd's as well.

Another advantage is that you can install programs separately from your Windows installation on a second drive. If a program crashes, it will not crash windows usually and leave bad writes on your install. It also keeps C drive from fragmenting as much or as quickly, while saving space for windows. A drive or partition not written to will not fragment, so program files that are just read will have no fragmenting affect. The smaller the C drive or the less file contained there will greatly reduce defragmentation time.

That right there is rather good advice. In fact, even on a single drive system, I always recommend creating a small primary partition before doing anything else. I just put windows and firefox on that (I have to have my firefox before I start DLing drivers and other stuff :bday: )

That right there is rather good advice. In fact, even on a single drive system, I always recommend creating a small primary partition before doing anything else. I just put windows and firefox on that (I have to have my firefox before I start DLing drivers and other stuff :bday: )

It is similar how my setup is. Since I have more than one machine. I can go anywhere in my home and use Firefox and my mail client. Pretty much any program I feel is needed. It is not part of the operating system or on the same controller the OS drive is on. I really do not even need to have an operating system for my machine. The router has what it needs to do this. Long as all the parts have power.

It has been ages since my couch computer has had the front door open. Even the ROM drive is mapped.

There is just so many ways to get bonuses out of, more than one drive.

I think his question really is why does using RAID have a benefit over using a single HD.

It seems pretty obvious that a 2nd drive is used for storage or security.

Back