• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need an alternative to Trillian (now that it's ad supported)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With Trillian it would only make sound if it wasn't in focus. Pidgin only has sounds on always or only when focused. I need the 3rd option.. I can tell when someone is typing to me if I'm looking at it, but I want sounds when I'm tabbed to something else or in a full screen game.

I may have a fix for you, let me know if the following works?

1. Tools>Preference Sounds
2. Mute sounds should be unchecked
3. Sound when conversation has focus should be unchecked

There are other options there about what events prompt a sound notification, if you want to review those also.

Does that give you the sound profile you desire?

Think I've got everything working ok. Used mbentley's toaster addon, which is acceptable, but not ideal (hard to read, no sound notification). I've got the sound set up like you mentioned Matt. Only annoying thing is I can't use my own sounds. Any time I try to use something else I get an error sound. Guess I'll get used to it.

I'm liking the user interface (of the chat windows and buddy list, especially) better than Trillian, it's just the little things keeping from fully embracing Pidgin. It'll work though. I might still check out Digsby or a few others.

you can customize the fonts for the guifications plugins. if you go to plugins > click on guifications then configure plugin > themes tab then select the theme you want, and then choose copy. the reason i suggest copying it is that if you modify the actual theme, your changes will be overwritten when you reinstall after a pidgin upgrade and reinstalling guifications. making a copy will place the copy in your users's profile so it will never be overwritten. you can then use a text editor to edit the .xml file to change the font size and style to make it easier to read to your liking.

holy crap, i don't think i have ever seen so much spyware in a single installer. i've heard good things about digsby but that's just ridiculous.

i was asking someone who actively still uses digsby and he mentioned that is how the installer used to be back around 2009 or so but it has since then gotten better.

oh ok, I install it on all my computers, I love that the settings transfer over from one machine to the other, automatically... and that I can have it check my email and advise me of new emails that come in, all from within the app... also can do facebook updates and check new updates on there...

i used to use meebo exclusively.

For windows clients, I am a long time user of Pidgin. I also like Miranda. It is like open sauce Pidgin but in no frills form. If you need something, you add it.

The main thing I like about it. No installer! :thup: Very nice for being portable, if your moving from one location to another.. Pop it on a USB and take your chatter box with you.
:comp:

I'm looking for a free multi-protocol IM for Windows that has no ads, that can do file transfers and probably even picture attachments for Yahoo accounts, and does not store passwords in configuration files in plaintext format.

Back