• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Programs Installed On External HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Not exactly sure where to put this entirely. So think it fits here. I got a few SSD's incoming to make up my main drive. Besides having that I'll have a secondary drive for storage and maybe a few program installs. Question is will Windows (specifically Win7) complain if I have X program installed on D drive that can be turned off?

Im thinking currently (got lots of thoughts) that almost all my daily use on my PC is really concentrated onto my C drive. So why have another HDD powered up if I rarely use it for any tasks? I have external enclosures and a hotswap bay (that I might kill because the fan is annoying).

So would you think windows would have an issue with a program being on a drive that is not powered full time?

Shouldn't. I used to run Photoshop from an external drive that I moved around a lot.

Only was it should cause any problems is it you try to run something thats on the drive, when its not plugged in (meaning more along the lines of startup, I would hope you wouldnt try to run an app on that drive knowing its not turned on ha). And obviously, if there is an app from that drive currently being used, it may not be wise to power the drive off with the app still running. These are kinda obvious though, otherwise, should be no prob.

Shouldn't. I used to run Photoshop from an external drive that I moved around a lot.

Only was it should cause any problems is it you try to run something thats on the drive, when its not plugged in (meaning more along the lines of startup, I would hope you wouldnt try to run an app on that drive knowing its not turned on ha). And obviously, if there is an app from that drive currently being used, it may not be wise to power the drive off with the app still running. These are kinda obvious though, otherwise, should be no prob.

Yeah photoshop would be a great example. Yeah its not like I'd power off the drive til I stopped using it, and since I can't hibernate anymore and sleep causes issues for my system powering down the system is my only options so any program open would be closed if I powered it on again.

Back