• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Looking for a 400$ gaming monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys , plan to change my monitor next.
So my budge is around 400 - 500$ max , best to be around 400$ I don't mind investing 500$ on it , but depends on whether is it worth the investment and reasons given why should I invest on a 500$ monitor.

Problem is , even searching on the internet I have no idea what to look for while buying a good gaming monitor.

I know these at least

1)Response Rate , the lower the better , get something like 2ms or less

2)Refresh Rate , higher the better , for the monitor able to keep up the FPS produced by my GPU to reduce lag and ghosting and eye fatigue ( But I think for a 400$ monitor I can never find anything that's 140hz nor even for a 500$ )

3)IPS / TN , I heard IPS is bad for gaming for they have low response rate and TN are better even some more expensive TN panels looks better compared to IPS

4)Resolution , I will stick to 1080p @ 23" that's plenty for me.

5)Brightness , basically higher the brighter which is better right ?

So is there any other things I should look for when buying a good monitor for gaming ?
Is it possible to get a monitor that the pictures " looks good " and yet good for gaming , or basically a gaming monitor will definitely " look good "

Any if you guys could give me a few suggestion on the monitors I should check out that be nice so I can do a comparison myself too since I bet there are many models sold in US / Euro is not available here.

1. There is a sticky in this section on monitors... and a front page article.. Check those out.
3. I game on an IPS just fine...

Get a Dell U2414H.
I just got three, they're awesome.

Response time, you won't notice till you're 10ms+
I love having an IPS, the colors are so much nicer than a TN.

Also, if you buy a monitor labeled as "gaming" you're most likely getting a cheaper monitor in a different box with a different sticker.

1. There is a sticky in this section on monitors... and a front page article.. Check those out.
3. I game on an IPS just fine...

I see , I only just repeating what others said , I haven't really experience it myself , that's the problem :-/
But I also heard that IPS are best for " looking good " in terms of Color etc I guess.

Get a Dell U2414H.
I just got three, they're awesome.

Response time, you won't notice till you're 10ms+
I love having an IPS, the colors are so much nicer than a TN.

Also, if you buy a monitor labeled as "gaming" you're most likely getting a cheaper monitor in a different box with a different sticker.

Hmm so I guess all those are just marketing gimmick saying that 1ms / 2ms response time is great for gaming and all and yeah I understand what you meant by the " gaming " part.
I just saying best for " gaming " is to specify if there are monitors which are suited for gaming , since I don't know much about monitors.
But I guess it's just like all those " gaming " peripherals in truth.

But having higher hz does effect at least right ? Least I saw a comparison the picture is smoother , it wont blur out , I think it's called ghosting right or something like that...

Ok few questions regarding the Dell monitor

1) Is 23" and 24" any big difference at all , though both of the Resolution will be 1080p at least

2) What's the difference between all these 3 , they are the same right ?
Except one it's a 23" (The 23" is currently Sold Out though...)

http://www.lelong.com.my/dell-monit...p-black-castleit-145571751-2014-03-Sale-P.htm

http://www.lelong.com.my/dell-monit...16128656-castleit-K1616756-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

http://www.lelong.com.my/dell-monit...rp-black-castleit-K1222132-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

What you guys think about BenQ monitors ??
I had my eye on this before, seems not bad least the specs in comparison...
But this is a TN panel , I guess it won't look good as the Dell one since it's not IPS

http://www.lelong.com.my/benq-monitor-led-24-gl2460hm-castleit-K1523493-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Like I say, you won't notice it until it gets up pretty high on the response time unless you're super-sensitive to things like that.
I run three of the U2414H in surround for racing and I don't notice the 8ms response one bit. (It tested lower than 8ms on most reviews)

The 2412 is a 1920x1200 resolution monitor.
I don't think the 2312 is manufactured anymore.
The 2414 is brand new, 1920x1080.

BenQ isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. The Dell will definitely have a better color representation.
Also, most of Dell's U series of monitors are factory color calibrated (they give you the results also) to ensure uniformity.

Like I say, you won't notice it until it gets up pretty high on the response time unless you're super-sensitive to things like that.
I run three of the U2414H in surround for racing and I don't notice the 8ms response one bit. (It tested lower than 8ms on most reviews)

The 2412 is a 1920x1200 resolution monitor.
I don't think the 2312 is manufactured anymore.
The 2414 is brand new, 1920x1080.

BenQ isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. The Dell will definitely have a better color representation.
Also, most of Dell's U series of monitors are factory color calibrated (they give you the results also) to ensure uniformity.

Ah I see tks for the info, yeah I think I heard my friend said something about the 2312 having a new model or something ,or maybe some other model to replace it , I guess it make sense that it has stopped production.

In that case I most probably be going for Dell monitor then. Has always been seeing Dell being on the TOP list till now lol.

Ah I see tks for the info, yeah I think I heard my friend said something about the 2312 having a new model or something ,or maybe some other model to replace it , I guess it make sense that it has stopped production.

In that case I most probably be going for Dell monitor then. Has always been seeing Dell being on the TOP list till now lol.

IMO, there aren't any monitors that can beat their professional line.
The few that squeeze by either don't have near the warranty that the Dell does or cost a lot more.

Korean monitor, have a nice day.

27"
PLS
2560x1400
Overclockable, UNDER $400 shipped.

These are enthusiasts forums, we ignore the obvious and give him the best. :D Plus he has an R9 280x.
Indeed. Though I wouldn't be happy with several games at full tilt with a 280x(7970). Perhaps I am spoiled..but ran one and know BF3 didn't like it... I know BF4 wont!

Indeed. Though I wouldn't be happy with several games at full tilt with a 280x(7970). Perhaps I am spoiled..but ran one and know BF3 didn't like it... I know BF4 wont!

BF4 can be made much smoother with just 2 settings. I also do not like going 1080p on monitors that are 24". 1920x1200 is the way to go. Of course peoples opinions vary on that.

Antialiasing Deffered Off

Antialiasing Post Low

I hear ya, just saying that some people, like me, like to run with it cranked regardless. Any game can be made playable with turning the settings down which is why I specified 'full tilt' in the first place. ;)

I hear ya, just saying that some people, like me, like to run with it cranked regardless. Any game can be made playable with turning the settings down which is why I specified 'full tilt' in the first place. ;)

Even I have those 2 turned off and I run SLI, still looks amazing since the rest is on Ultra.

If you're looking for the best quality monitor for under 400 I'd have to reccomend the korean brands as well. They are A- samsung pls panels. Sure there is a risk of dead pixels but you get the same risk with bigger companies (albeit they have better return policy)

The difference going to 1440p from 1080 is massive. Mine also overclocks to 96hz(some go 120hz) which is the cherry on top, windows and older games have never looked so smooth. Monitor is single input so input delay is very minimal. My xstar monitor was 279 shipped. Had 1 stuck red pixel out of nearly 4 million lol. I'm 1000% satisfied. I've compared it to my father's apple 27 inch and with a little bit of tinkering enjoy the samsung pls over lg ips.

As ed stated this is all theoretical.... If you have the power to push it I would jump aboard.

Wtf , I didn't know we can OC our Monitors lol ?!? This is surprisingly new to me. Is there anything out there can't be OC lol

Of course I would like a 1440p monitor but wait , are they really 1440p monitors that's under 400$ price tag ?? I never seen them before

But in the end Im still sticking to a 1080p or unless there is a 23" 1440p monitor , basically I want to stay on 23 " - 24 " because the distance im sitting. Im just about like what...1 to 2 Feet away my monitor....no I can't sit further , unless I invest on a table and that could be a problem too due to the tight space I have here in my computer room , so it's a complicated situation....

This is a good topic thanks OP
my monitor is about 10 or 12 years old it is still to me very good but what i have been reading here and for that prise i will be looking at that Dell as well.
dont know what is IPS monitor means ?

This is a good topic thanks OP
my monitor is about 10 or 12 years old it is still to me very good but what i have been reading here and for that prise i will be looking at that Dell as well.
dont know what is IPS monitor means ?

One question what's OP ? I always heard of OP but don't understand what it means. Except in games OP which is Over Power lol

I still have my eyes set on Dell now lol , and I think it's a big improvement from my current one.

IPS , I don't know the exact name and the technology of it but what I do know is IPS has better viewing angle compared to TN , basically if you see from any angle the screen doesn't " darken " like TN does , also IPS has better Color Accuracy compared to a TN , so in a short word it will " look better " on any terms compared to a TN , but the downside many claimed that IPS has slow Response Rate compared to a TN panel , if not mistaken like those 140hz monitors are TN panels , instead of IPS , which they claimed is better for gaming.

But then again , many claim that you won't notice the different unless your very sensitive or I guess it's depending on individuals.

I will just go ahead and get an IPS monitor for the sake of experience. For now Im already using a TN panel monitor.

Wtf , I didn't know we can OC our Monitors lol ?!? This is surprisingly new to me. Is there anything out there can't be OC lol

Of course I would like a 1440p monitor but wait , are they really 1440p monitors that's under 400$ price tag ?? I never seen them before

But in the end Im still sticking to a 1080p or unless there is a 23" 1440p monitor , basically I want to stay on 23 " - 24 " because the distance im sitting. Im just about like what...1 to 2 Feet away my monitor....no I can't sit further , unless I invest on a table and that could be a problem too due to the tight space I have here in my computer room , so it's a complicated situation....

I sit 1-2 feet from my 27 inch 1440p. Look on ebay for qnix and xstar you'll find the monitors. There is a club on another website with over 1 million views and almost 2000 pages of people discussing which seller to go with and talking about issues if any with certain ones. 1440p at 27 inches has a pixel density of 109 per inch. 1080 at 23 inches is 95 pixels per inch. So the 1440p monitor will probably look better even sitting close. They are Def worth taking a look at... I mean you can buy an apple ips a- panel for 300$.. Apple sells there 1440p monitors at 1000$. 1 dead pixel saved me a ton of money and I'm totally satisfied. Not to mention the color of a pls panel looks so much better than a TN panel. Imo.

Back