• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus R2E startup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tokae

Well over the weekend I went and bought a case and decided to build another pc out of older stuff I had laying around..

I have my old Rampage II Extreme mobo that I used for about 6 months, along with an i7 950, etc etc.

Long story shortened:

I put everything together, hit the power button, the pc turns on for about 3 seconds (hear the fans operating at normal speeds, and HD starts up etc). Then the pc shuts off, and fires back up on its own. Nothing shows up on the screen though. No Asus logo, nothing.

What I have tried:

Cleared CMOS (yanked battery and used switch that is on the back plate)

Replaced the ram with another kit

Replaced Video card with another one

Replaced PSU with another one

Disconnected all attached drives (optical and storage)

So I am down to just the mobo and cpu it seems. I have tried using BIOS1 and BIOS2 with equal results. Down by the BIOS chips there is a yellow LED that stays solid while the PC is powered up. Does this mean my BIOS is corrupted? I wish I had a spare CPU kicking around to test it with. I don't want to tear my main rig apart just to test this out.

If it is the mobo, is there anything I can do to fire this pc up? Or is the mobo toast. It really sucks because I never really pushed the board hard while I used it and therefore it should be brand new.

Anyway, if the Asus OC experts here have any input on this board it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance everyone!

:rain:

I had a similar issue once and it was a short/grounded mainboard.... Last thing you can try is to build it on a cardboard box.

Also make sure there arent any bent pins in the socket or TIM on the bottom of the CPU.

I had a similar issue once and it was a short/grounded mainboard.... Last thing you can try is to build it on a cardboard box.

Also make sure there arent any bent pins in the socket or TIM on the bottom of the CPU.

Nice!

Yeah that is a good call. I was thinking about just yanking it out and trying to fire it up on the table, a box would be ideal though.. i will be trying this tonight.

Nice.

Turned out to be a pin with just ever so slight of a bend!

Many thanks Kings for the idea. My brain was toast.

:thup::thup::thup:

Back