• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some i3 and new i5 cpus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
good references! it says under specifications that the i5 670 has a 72 watt TDP and all other i3/5 xx0 models have 73 watt TDP, guess its a typo. :eek:

i5 660 seems best bang buck for 32 nm. $196 in US.

ive heard the i3 530 is supposed to be similar to an e8400 with HT. so... i guess it will be like the pentium G6950 (2.8 GHz, 3MB L3, same DMI)

hard to say, just have to wait and see some numbers first.

Of course it can. I3 will be a bit better I believe than the E8xxx series C2Duo, and those can run any game just fine (especially clocked to 4ghz).

deed/doz,
i dont think he means the cpu, i think he means the onboard video. i3's are dual core 32nm with a 45nm ondie video chip.

Of course it can. I3 will be a bit better I believe than the E8xxx series C2Duo, and those can run any game just fine (especially clocked to 4ghz).

single core pentiums from 2000 can run them so yes the i3 can run it fine.

I'm talking about the integrated GPU... would it be able to handle a game like that?

Or WoW? Might pick this up and a good mobo for my dad for Christmas to replace his aging Pentium D. (It was a hand-me-up from me lol)

i would have to say wow would be no problem even with say med. to possible high settings. since wow is more cpu speed based then gpu, as long as it is in the 3ghz range i dont see wow being a problem.

Is Intel planning on releasing any of these new 32nm dual core chips with out the integrated gpu?

I also wonder how the GPU part of these chips will affect their overclocking abilities? I'm quite interested in seeing what they can do.

so far it looks like no to dual cores only and will come with on board video. if you use a add in card onboard will be disalbed. ocing with onboard video on the die might get rather interesting... though it would be in a way just as if the video was on the chipset. Overclocking the cpu with on die video in my mind right now will not have any issues.

maybe i should currect my self video isnt on die but on cpu package. only thing that could becom a issue is not enough cooling for the video die. well either that or the cpu die causes the video die to over heat while oc'd.

Well if the on board graphics is disabled when you run a separate card then hopefully it won't affect the overclocking. I'm hoping that these new 32nm chips scale nicely at stock voltage and with increasing voltage bumps. Core i5-660/661 seems like an updated E8600 so 25x180? or drop the multi and perhaps... 23x200?

Last edited:
Well if the on board graphics is disabled when you run a separate card then hopefully it won't affect the overclocking. I'm hoping that these new 32nm chips scale nicely at stock voltage and with increasing voltage bumps. Core i5-660/661 seems like an updated E8600 so 25x180? or drop the multi and perhaps... 23x200?

Actually it is more like an ondie NB as the IMC is not on the 32nm die but on the 45nm die with the gpu, who knows how that effects the OC potential.

i don't like the "on-package" video. i would LOVE a true (stand alone) dualcore (32nm) w/ onboard mem controller. HT or not (i could care less, i don't even use it) and more cache then e8xxx series. - that would have been the ture 'homerun" IMO.

i tried WOW for a day(10 minutes) (didnt like it) with my e2200 and integrated intel GMA 3100 which doesn't support hardware T&L and ran WOW fine at 1440x900.

i wonder whats for dinner....

Back