• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VIA cpu´s??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Henry Rollins II

Yo all,

I´m helping a friend upgrade his computer. It is a micro ATX style box, MSI m-atx board w/ BX shipset and slot1. It is currently fitted with a celeron 400 Mhz cpu. From the MSI homepage I found out that the maxium this board will accept is a P3 800 Mhz w/ 100 Mhz FSB. Now this cpu cost more than a brand new XP1800, USED!!

So I was thinking about the VIA cpu´s, they go really cheap. Does anybody know if the VIA cpu´s work with the BX chipset??

regards.
Henry

It'll work but it's not going to be much better than the Celly that's in there. They are a very weak processor although, from my understanding, have unlocked multipliers and actually overclock well.

Might be worth it if you can get one at least double that of the Celeron...they are cheap.

You think so? Maybe it´s smarter to go with the sure option then: the P3 800/100. Surely that must be noticable difference between the cely 400/66 and the P3 800/100? Shame though that they are so expensive. Less than 100 euros for a used one is very hard to find.

regards,
Henry

Know so. The Cyrix core has no L2 making it pretty slow when doing anything other than basic web browsing or email. That's a big reason it overclocks so well too.

The PIII 800 will make a world of difference over that Celly. I'd say even a slot 1 PIII 500 would give it a nice boost. Cyrix chips, on the other hand, are another story.

yes the VIA cpu's will work, but they are really slow
comparable to your current celly
they actually have 192k of cache,like the Duron, but it doesnt matter, they are still slow.

you will see a marked difference moving to any slot or socket p3 over your current system :)

Jon said:
Know so. The Cyrix core has no L2 making it pretty slow when doing anything other than basic web browsing or email. That's a big reason it overclocks so well too.

The PIII 800 will make a world of difference over that Celly. I'd say even a slot 1 PIII 500 would give it a nice boost. Cyrix chips, on the other hand, are another story.

Are cyrix and via the same company?

Another thing: Some slot 1 100Mhz fsb P3 cpu´s have 512 kB L2. Would that make any difference over 256 Kb?

regards,
Henry

yep VIA offically bought Cyrix out a year or so ago

and yep the 512k versions perform faster in pretty much everything, but its up to you to decide wether they are worth the price premium you pay

The 512K cached chips are Katmai while the 256K are Coppermine. The Katmai L2 runs at half speed while Coppermine L2 runs at full speed. As far as which one is faster, it really depends on the application. Programs that can fill up that L2 generally do perform a little better on the Katmai, everything else on the Coppermine. Coppermines have higher clock speeds due to being more recent chips, though, so they outrun the older Katmais to begin with.

I believe the last Katmai PIII was the 500MHz chip...may have been a few 550s in there but I'm not sure.

Avoid via cpu like hell, their FPU is actually half-pumped, working at a blazing fast 1/2 cpu speed:rolleyes: If you do anything other than email and word you'll find out that 400Mhz celly can beat 1GHz C3 easily

Well, I am giving away my auld computer to mom. I though I´d upgrade it as well, it accepts a P3 600 max. But on the other hand she´ll propably be just happy with the 300a@450 that is in it right now.

regards,
Henry

good point Jon
the 256k cache chips will be the ones to go for since they run at higher speeds, and will overclock better.
Consider getting a slotket adapter and running a socket 370 P3, they are all coppermine 256k's, and should be a few more around than the slot versions

Jon said:
The 512K cached chips are Katmai while the 256K are Coppermine. The Katmai L2 runs at half speed while Coppermine L2 runs at full speed. As far as which one is faster, it really depends on the application. Programs that can fill up that L2 generally do perform a little better on the Katmai, everything else on the Coppermine. Coppermines have higher clock speeds due to being more recent chips, though, so they outrun the older Katmais to begin with.

I believe the last Katmai PIII was the 500MHz chip...may have been a few 550s in there but I'm not sure.

I think also the 600/100 is a Katmai. I have an Abit BH6 rev 1.01 that I have been looking to upgrade, Abit says it will not support the Coppermine core and that max is P3 600. However, it do support the 700 Mhz celeron.

On some pages I´ve read that this is only BS though, that a coppermine can be used with the BH6. In that case it should accept a 1Ghz cpu, no?

regards,
Henry

lonewolf1983 said:
good point Jon
the 256k cache chips will be the ones to go for since they run at higher speeds, and will overclock better.
Consider getting a slotket adapter and running a socket 370 P3, they are all coppermine 256k's, and should be a few more around than the slot versions

Yes, and the socket cpu´s are cheaper too. The cely400 that is in that can actually is a PPGA mounted on a sloket. Is there any difference what so ever on the PPGA and the FCPGA? They are both socket 370, no?

regards,
Henry

physically yes they are the same socket, but they run different voltages, the old PPGA's are about 2.1v, versus the 1.7v of the FCPGA, so if you want to use an FCPGA cpu you will need a slotket that supports this voltage (usually marked as "supports coppermine")

Get a Slocket ...

So you can transform the Slot into a Socket 370.

Put a 1.2 Celly and oc it to 1.5

Remember!

Fold it

Back