• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual GPU cards vs. true crossfire/SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Do dual GPU cards suffer the same frame rate latency variance issues that true crossfire/SLI setups do? I'd figure they would be worse, because generally speaking the clock speeds on the dual GPU cards seem to be less than those found on discrete cards.

The clock speeds of the cards are not relevant in the micro-stuttering issue. ;)

They are essentially the same, yep. There was some testing on the web on the issue.

Generally speaking, is Nvidia's SLI superior to AMD's crossfire in terms of framerate latency/micro-stuttering?

I have two GTX 670 4GB's in SLI and I have never had this so called "micro-stuttering" issue that people talk about from SLI setups, especially in games that are well made and actually use both cards (Crysis 3)

I was getting some in SWTOR, but I went into nVidia's control panel and disabled the auxillary card and the microlags stopped.

Nvidia was never as bad as AMD was. But its funny you say you "never" saw it, yet go on in the next sentence to describe it happening... :p

ED, I just wanted to say that was an interesting article on FCAT.

I've been somewhat disappointed with the performance of dual-gpu cards. I would opt for a SLI or crossfire setup any time of day this time around.

Nvidia was never as bad as AMD was. But its funny you say you "never" saw it, yet go on in the next sentence to describe it happening..

My ATI 5770 microlagged... and it was single GPU. Lol.

Point is, you don't have to disable SLI entirely to get rid of microlags, you can selectively disable it. The arguments against SLI are heat, power, and cost. Microlags are not even secondary, perhaps not even tertiary.

The term "lag" most commonly refers to a network problem. "Stutter" is the term used here... Microstutter.

Single GPU's shouldn't show any microstutter... at least, nothing that someone can 'see' (articles all over on that).

Back