• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia 750TI and Asus PB287Q 4k monitor problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Drivers are not loaded pre-windows AFAIK... I just said that....

What is a "MS PC slot"? Do you mean PCIe?

I just don't think that the FW can support a 4K monitor without the drivers is why you may be seeing this issue. I could be incredibly off... but it makes more sense than what I am hearing so far.

If you use the 4K tv without the other monitor, it boots just fine, meaning you can see the POST/BIOS on it (4k), and it doesn't 'black out'?

It seems that the subject of my post has been derailed and I would like to put it back on-track.

My main purpose is to see if anyone using a 4K screen in multi-screen setup have or do not have the same problem I am suffering.

It seems I have stepped on a nerve when I call it a nVidia problem and the whole discussion becomes derailed.

If there are AMD 7000, 8000, R7 or R9 users using 4K screen successfully in multi-screen setup, plz advize.

Similarly, If there are nVidia users having the same success or difficulties, plz advise too.

LOL, you are off the mark on anyone caring about it being Nvidia or AMD for that matter man... get off that fanboyism thing.. there is none here. We are simply trying to help you out and are not convinced this is an Nvidia specific problem with the information provided.

Back on track, I just asked........: If you use the 4K tv without the other monitor, it boots just fine, meaning you can see the POST/BIOS on it (4k), and it doesn't 'black out'?

LOL, you are off the mark on anyone caring about it being Nvidia or AMD for that matter man... get off that fanboyism thing.. there is none here. We are simply trying to help you out and are not convinced this is an Nvidia specific problem with the information provided.

Back on track, I just asked........: If you use the 4K tv without the other monitor, it boots just fine, meaning you can see the POST/BIOS on it (4k), and it doesn't 'black out'?

Back on track and no more derailing:

Having one monitor working is fine but that is not what I need. It means nothing to me. My problem is to have a multi-screen setup with the 4K screen as my main Display Port display and a HDMI extended display.

If I have no problem with similar setup using a DVI (24" Dell ) and a HDMI (LG 40" LCD) displays driven by AMD 4850, why should it failed using a Display Port (28" Asus 4K screen) and a HDMI (LG 40" LCD) displays driven by gtx750TI.

I want to learn how others manage to have successful setups and their configs.

Because of the 4K screen not being supported until the driver actually loads is my guess, which is why I am asking if you see the BIOS/POST when only using the 4K monitor.

I am just not sure that the 750ti is equipped to handle such resolutions (4K + 1080) is the problem... Perhaps that is an Nvidia issue, perhaps not.

Because of the 4K screen not being supported until the driver actually loads is my guess, which is why I am asking if you see the BIOS/POST when only using the 4K monitor.

I am just not sure that the 750ti is equipped to handle such resolutions (4K + 1080) is the problem... Perhaps that is an Nvidia issue, perhaps not.

My original desire is to use the AMD R7 to drive my 4K screen. After googling for 4K display setups, I knew nVidia has problems with driving 4K screens with their older boards, but that was a few months ago.

The only reason I choose 750TI is because it is the latest product with the best power saving to drive a 4K screen.

I bet on nVidia has sufficient time to fixed their driver issues with their lastest 750/780 boards. And, obviously, I am wrong. nVidia still has not taken serious enough efforts to rectifier the 4K screen support.

Again, googling shown AMD 7000 series and up can support 4K screen with relative ease.

I do not have the AMD cards to try and hence to ask if there are successful users for their experience.

I do not intend to live with the 750TI if the problem can not be fixed. I may have to go for the AMD solution if necessary.

stukan, realize that EarthDog and myself are asking you to run with only the 4K monitor as a TEST.
It is TEMPORARY.
JUST TO TROUBLESHOOT.

I get it........

I will ask a fourth time...

I have answered yes before. 750TI driving a single Display Port 4K display can function without problem. It can post Boot screen, boot w7 etc. Everything normal. I have tried this before. It's only come to multi-screen it failed.

My 4K screen always connect to the Display Port. It is the only way to get 4k resolution @60HZ.

I have answered yes before. 750TI driving a single Display Port 4K display can function without problem. It can post Boot screen, boot w7 etc. Everything normal. I have tried this before. It's only come to multi-screen it failed.

My 4K screen always connect to the Display Port. It is the only way to get 4k resolution @60HZ.

With that being fully functional it means it is a setup issue, not a driver/compatibility issue with the 750Ti.

Here is the latest email I received from nVidia:

Hello Stuart,

Can you give us more details on the warm boot you are referring to?

If you mean, restarting the computer from windows then, the behavior will apply to that as well.
It will work the same way until you login to windows which activates the settings with Dual Display.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Vaseem
NVIDIA Customer Care

and my reply:
========================
Warm boot means restarting Windows 7 without power shut down. Warm booting w7 always black out my 4K Asus main display, leaving only the LG extended display on. In fact, cold boot w7 immediately after power shut down will also black out my 4K main display. However, w7 can be successfully cold booted sometime (but not always) to have both displays turn on if I leave the power off for half a minute.

With the main display black out, I cannot login to W7.

Any fixes?

Black out does not mean no video signal. There must be signals to the 4K main display (judged by the monitor's power indicator light, turning from yellow to white) but the screen is totally black.

========================

With that being fully functional it means it is a setup issue, not a driver/compatibility issue with the 750Ti.

Can you suggest what goes wrong? Are you referring to BIOS setup?

For my Gigabyte MB, I can choose to turn on/off the Intel internal graphic, and choose between Auto, IGFX, PEG and PCI for Initial Display First.

My present setup turns off the Intel internal graphic and Initial Display First is set to Auto. (in fact, I have tried Auto, IGFX with the Intel Graphic on, and PEG. Results are all the same, same problem exist with multi-screen setup)

I'll be scratching my head what goes wrong with the setup.

Bios Boot is definitely not a 750TI driver problem. Agreed. But I do believe, after w7 is booted, the Display Port 4K screen blackout is a 750TI driver problem.

I will leave the forum and come back again when I received reply from nVidia.

To summarize thus far:

1. The nVidia solution for a single 4K screen support is fine, but it failed miserably in multi-screen setups, especially when the main screen is connected to the Display Port. But why buy the nVidia solution if one cannot expand it to a multi-screen setup.

2. How about the AMD solution? I don't know!

anyone who has any idea, plz share with us.

3. I will post again when I hear anything new from nVidia.

God Bless!

stukan.

Sorry if you mentioned this before, but have you tried different drivers? What version are you on? Get the latest if you don't have them, or roll back and see if there are any changes.

Looking forward to hearing what Nvidia has to say.

Sorry if you mentioned this before, but have you tried different drivers? What version are you on? Get the latest if you don't have them, or roll back and see if there are any changes.

Looking forward to hearing what Nvidia has to say.

Caught your post at the last minute before sign off.

I have tried the latest driver 337.88 but at present, I am running 340.43 beta.

Both drivers show the same multi-screen problem, my main 4K screen blackout problem.

Googling tells me older drivers won't work!

nVidia is well awared they have issue with 4K screen support. Several months ago they promise to rectify the problem with their future driver revision.

I guess they must have done it for a single 4K screen support, but forgetting the multi-screen support.

The population that would run such a setup is so small, I wouldn't doubt this would lag behind. Seriously.

Sucks. I hope drivers are the answer for you...

It could be worth trying Windows 8.1 if you have access to it.
Windows 7 obviously wouldn't have been coded with 4K monitors in mind.

Keep in mind, your setup is the 0.001% to NVidia.

It could be worth trying Windows 8.1 if you have access to it.
Windows 7 obviously wouldn't have been coded with 4K monitors in mind.

Keep in mind, your setup is the 0.001% to NVidia.

Luckily mine is a dual boot w7 & w8.1 system. With w8.1, the same warm boot 4K main dislpay black out exist. But worse when I change the 4K main display resolution to 2560x1600. w8.1 shrinks from left and right leaving about 1.5" black stripes at both ends.

Keep in mind also handicap people are also a very small percentage of our population. Can we ignore them for convenience!

I promise I will come back when I receive news from nVidia and the following is the latest email from nVidia.

Hello Stuart,

The issue you are experiencing is a General behavior of the graphics card.

In the BIOS the HDMI is set as primary. Hence when you are booting the system with Dual displays only the monitor which is connected Via HDMI is showing boot screen.

Hence this setting is done from manufacturer of the card. The Booting sequence is always on 1 monitor only. However the Primary designated port is a specification provided by manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Shreyas
NVIDIA Customer Care

and my reply:
=============================================
It may be true, quote, "In the BIOS the HDMI is set as primary", but, in real life, it is certainly not true, quote, "The Booting sequence is always on 1 monitor only". Whether the Bios Boot Screen appears on one or more displays seems to depend on the firmware of the display card.

In my original multi-screen setup with a DVI (Dell 24") and a HDMI (LG 40") displays driven by an AMD 4850, Bios Boot Screen appears on both displays.

Besides, it would be idiotic for the industry to force all users to use HDMI as their primary. Totally illogical and for what purposes? Having additional Boot Screen displayed on other than the HDMI port will be a simple fix, but why not!

I do not intend to beat the Bios Boot Screen topic to death. Let's skip it and nVidia can do whatever nVidia wants to do with it.

My main concern is my Asus 4K monitor black out problem that I have mentioned earlier. Has this been recognized as a genuine problem?

=============================================

Do you think your card might be bad?

I doubted very much my 750TI may be bad, however, anything is possible.

Unless nVidia wants to provide me with a known good board to test with, your question can never be answered.

I will investigate further on 750TI driving multi-screen without the Display Port connection, as I suspect it may be the source of all my problems. I will connect my 4K Asus screen to DVI as my main screen. Will report result when done.

Back