• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penryn's Performance Preview

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
... how is the dual core penryn beating out the quad core penryn in cinema4d?? Lol, and tdp is 125w for the extreme (quad?) penryns..

i wish they used chips with the same clockspeeds... 2.93ghz vs 3.33ghz is a bit hard to compare...that's a 400mhz diff.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i wish they used chips with the same clockspeeds... 2.93ghz vs 3.33ghz is a bit hard to compare...that's a 400mhz diff.

I agree, kind of a crappy preview imo.

Modified Intel D975XBX2 motherboards - upgraded with proper BIOS and power regulators for Penryn.

:( No penryn for my p5b deluxe then it would seem...

One Bull said:
125W? Taht's worse then presshots. I wonder what kind of stock cooler comes with those

125W for the extreme Penryn's, 65W for the non extremes. Still 125W is a lot!

Vrykyl said:
:( No penryn for my p5b deluxe then it would seem...

Well P5B Deluxe has a decent amount of regulators it might work. Crossing fingers that it would with just a bios upgrade.

Tyranos said:
... how is the dual core penryn beating out the quad core penryn in cinema4d?? Lol, and tdp is 125w for the extreme (quad?) penryns..

Even more:

Why does the QX6800 outperform both in single threaded mode, although they are both clocked higher and have other optimizations as well..?

Rinne said:
Even more:

Why does the QX6800 outperform both in single threaded mode, although they are both clocked higher and have other optimizations as well..?

Which test you guys looking at? They all look proper to me the Penryn's out preform the C2D Quad and even the Dual Core gets quiet close to quads performance.

deathman20 said:
Well P5B Deluxe has a decent amount of regulators it might work. Crossing fingers that it would with just a bios upgrade.

Yeah, another P5B Dlx owner with fingers crossed too here ! :)

Fyi, Asus P5B-Deluxe mobo is equipped with this Analog PWM -> ADP3198 8-Bit Programmable 2- to 4-Phase Synchronous Buck Controller or straight to PDF datasheet.

Laymen term, basically this mobo's PWM driver capable to deliver VCore from 0.5 Volt up to 1.6 Volt !

Hopefully its not locked out (hard wired) by Asus mobo designer for the voltage range below 1.1000 V which is currently the lowest allowed in the BIOS !

Hard modding is possible though if someone has the gut to change/alter some PCB traces at those VIDx pins at that chip with LFCSP_VQ smd package or it's PCB trace which might be "abit" easier. (Look at last page at datasheet if you want to know how small those pins are !) :D

Again, another hope is Penryn's final VRM spec changes will be only at lower VCore and "nothing else". :rolleyes:

deathman20 said:
Which test you guys looking at? They all look proper to me the Penryn's out preform the C2D Quad and even the Dual Core gets quiet close to quads performance.

0,1425,i=172498,00.gif

They're just too stupid to take off seconds (lower is better). Fooled me because I do a lot of renders that take longer than x thousand seconds. My quad still woops that score though ;)

Well CPU score thats nice either way. Have to run my CPU at the same speed to really see what the advantage is at that speed compared to a C2D dual at least.

What program do you use for your 3D Renderings?

bing said:
Yeah, another P5B Dlx owner with fingers crossed too here ! :)

Fyi, Asus P5B-Deluxe mobo is equipped with this Analog PWM -> ADP3198 8-Bit Programmable 2- to 4-Phase Synchronous Buck Controller or straight to PDF datasheet.

Laymen term, basically this mobo's PWM driver capable to deliver VCore from 0.5 Volt up to 1.6 Volt !

Hopefully its not locked out (hard wired) by Asus mobo designer for the voltage range below 1.1000 V which is currently the lowest allowed in the BIOS !

Hard modding is possible though if someone has the gut to change/alter some PCB traces at those VIDx pins at that chip with LFCSP_VQ smd package or it's PCB trace which might be "abit" easier. (Look at last page at datasheet if you want to know how small those pins are !) :D

Again, another hope is Penryn's final VRM spec changes will be only at lower VCore and "nothing else". :rolleyes:

Well even if the lowest of low VCore is below whats on our system doesn't mean we can't use it. Its not like we actually use speed step or anything like that :) Just cross and pray that Asus allows it.

deathman20 said:
Well even if the lowest of low VCore is below whats on our system doesn't mean we can't use it. Its not like we actually use speed step or anything like that :) Just cross and pray that Asus allows it.

Actually, if you read that datasheet, this PWM controller capable of "finer" vcore than the BIOS provided, damn those lazy BIOS programmer. :mad:

deathman20 said:
Well CPU score thats nice either way. Have to run my CPU at the same speed to really see what the advantage is at that speed compared to a C2D dual at least.

What program do you use for your 3D Renderings?

brazil r/s, mental ray

BobcatDan said:
I thought the Penryn was going to get a new socket, like LGA 1330 or something...

Thats Neham that is going to need a new socket if not mistaken.

Back