• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB (MSI Suprim X) Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

feat.jpg
Today, Nvidia took the covers off the RTX 4080 16GB graphics card. Based on the AD103 chip, you get everything the Ada Lovelace architecture brings except for the flagship-class price. Starting at $1,199, it's slightly more reasonable than the $1,499-plus RTX 4090 we reviewed previously.
Click here to read more!

Yikes. That's my fault. Pushed to get it ready, no time for a second edit.... sick. Bleh. Charts updated. This whole launch was just a debacle for me, lol. Sorry about that, everyone.

As far as the 3070... I don't have that dataset yet. I'll have one and will add it to a future GPU review.

you get everything the Ada Lovelace architecture brings except for the flagship-class price.

This statement pains me, Any single component that costs more than an entire decent mid-range PC is still "flagship-class price" IMO.

Did everyone so easily forget they have Jacked up the price of 80 series cards $500 in just 3 years?

Without a doubt, I agree with your sentiment. These cards are just too damn expensive. But sadly, flagship pricing, at least for NV and the performance it offers, is another 20% higher. Big oof for sure.

Seems like something that should cost about $300 less to even be a 'decent' value proposition. Otherwise they are just upselling the 4090

I think we'll see a reset of NV's midrange and lower cards (not these, lol) once AMD's cards release. Rumored pricing on their new gen is a lot lower, but, so is performance. Thing is, not sure we'll see it as consumers as the mid-range and lower cards from NV will come out after AMD releases a couple of cards.

...but such as product life cycle, yes? New cards come out, the market adjusts as needed.

True, and at this point we don't have crypto [at least] to be holding the prices up. I'm wondering how much artificial scarcity there will be for the new cards either by manufacturing or just scalpers picking them up to resell on StockX/ebay/etc. Ultimately, from my 3080 the only good option it looks like would be a 4090 as an actual upgrade, but again looking at about a 1:1 $/performance ratio, where I'd be spending twice as much as my 3080 cost me for about double the performance on the 4090.

Ultimately, even at 4K my 3080 does well, granted I don't run raytracing (truthfully I can't tell much of a difference in most cases, and most of the games I play are either faster-paced or don't offer it).

While I give Nvidia credit for pricing their cards at the levels people were paying scalpers anyways the pricing for the 4x series is totally off the rails. Good thing my 3080 has many years until it gets "too old" for what I play.

Back