• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

o/c help needed...3930k / rampage iv formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Having some trouble overclocking my 3930k beyond 5GHz and wondering if any of you have suggestions of things to try, or, can point out where my problem lies. Here are my bios settings:

Attachments

• biois1.jpg
    biois1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,074
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1,086
  • bios3.jpg
    bios3.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 573
more settings:

Attachments

• bios4.jpg
    bios4.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 915
  • bios5.jpg
    bios5.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,093
  • bios6.jpg
    bios6.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 572
hey eskimochoas

Pretty stable at 5GHz. The ram is always giving me trouble even though it's on the QVL. 2133 is stock for the ram but the mobo always sets it to 1600. Stability is improved at 1600 and 1866 (but won't allow a higher overclock).

EDIT: Should say the system is more or less banchmark stable at 5GHz. Not really THAT stable :\

Last edited:
Looks like you're going to need extreme cooling if you want to go farther.

Also, leave vccsa and vtt on auto. you really don't need that much voltage.

Thanks moocow...will set those to auto and give it a try. Would like to get 5 or 5.1GHz stable, if possible.

Good luck with that... you would be only a hand full of people that have done it! :)

1.5v 24/7 is a TON, water or not...

Thanks for the good wishes Earthdog. Yeah...def not 24/7...this is for short benching bursts only.

On the C3 C6 C7 on that CPU Earthdog can you disable them as i saw on the screens he is on auto?

Yes, but it doesnt really make a difference. Its a sleep state and not terribly relevant in this thread. Some systems have trouble coming OUT of sleep states, but if you are not going in them, it shouldnt make a difference.

I just wanted to know because like you he is a good friend and i really wish him well on what he is trying to do and anything i can do for a friend i want to help.

Hey funsoul i see you have joined the club, guess what so have i see later buddy best of luck with your OC 5.0 GHZ.

Thanks Ajay...got some new ideas of things to try so will be making other attempts tonight.

attachment.php

In the screen above I would take a closer look at lowering many of your voltages. more is not always better.
If your memory is rated at 2133 with 1.5V, running them at 1.75V isn't going to help for speeds up to their rating.
I have not played with 2011 yet (I'll be getting my first set next week), but I would venture a guess you don't need that much VTT, 2nd VTT, or VCCSA for the speeds you're trying to reach.
If you've thoroughly tested with lower voltages, trust your testing over my advice, but if you set these settings whithout full testing, I'd take a step back.

attachment.php

A few settings catch my eye in the screenshot above as well.
The "CPU Load-Line Calibration" should be set more conservatively (medium would be fine).
The "CPU Voltage Frequency" should be set to 400MHz or so...
The "CPU Power Duty Control" should be set to the other option ("extreme" IIRC).
The "CPU VCORE Boot Up Voltage" should match the CPU Vcore setting on the other page.
...same thing for the "CPU VCCSA Boot Up Voltage".
The VCCSA Current Capability should be increased (max is fine as long as you lower the VCCSA voltage as I previously mentioned).

attachment.php

In the screen above, everything should change when you chage the "CPU Power Duty Control" from the last screen. Now on this screen you should be able to input a numerical value for the power limit, feel free to max it out.

Those are the only things that catch my eye right off the bat. I'll be getting a RIVF next week, so I'll be able to get some more hands on with it and maybe I'll be even more helpful at that point. Anyhow, good luck and keep us posted :)

some test results

Thanks everyone for your input/thoughts! Reset everything and re-started the process keeping things as simple as possible. MIAHALLEN- Will try some of your settings tonight.

Kept everything at stock except for the following:
VDDR= 1.7
DDR= 1600 (keeping this low until I find good, stable cpu o/c then will work on this)
CPU PLL= 1.9
PCH= 1.1
Spread Spectrums= Disabled
CPU Current Capability= 180%
HT= On

Below are the test results from yesterday. My thought is to get it close then move the entire pc to a different room where ambient temps are consistently 3-5C cooler than where it sits atm. That may provide the temp headroom to pass the benching stability test (a single Linx run). The 'crashes @' stuff in the comments is where the pc died during Linx.

Can't help but feel that there might be some tweaks (thanks for the pointers MIAHALLEN) to get some of the ? and 'throttling' runs to pass successfully. Any ideas would be mucho mucho appreciated!

Net, net...around 4.8GHz for 24/7 o/c should be easily do-able. For benching, 5.1GHz is a little bit of a stretch (maybe with group's help can get there, though). 5.05 or 5.047GHz seem like where things will end up given what I've got so far.

Other ideas, thoughts, etc? Thanks so much for your comments everyone!

Attachments

• test-results-091712.png
    test-results-091712.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Set the ram voltage to its stock setting (1.65?). No need to have that up, especially when underclocked.

Back