• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Advice Choosing a Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kmo_9000

Alright so I made a thread a while back about upgrading some parts and I mentioned that I wanted to get a new monitor.

Having done a fair amount of research it has come down to IPS vs 144hz TN.

If I went with an IPS I have narrowed it down to one of these two:

ASUS PA248Q Black 24.1"

Or

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

If I went for a 144hz monitor I would go with one of these:

ASUS VG248QE

Or

BenQ XL2420TE

As far as the two IPS monitors, I get the impression that Dell might have better quality control than Asus. I know the U2412M is know for having low input lag, though it may or may not have ghosting issues. I read the PA248Q is similar, however the reviewer said his model had some backlight bleeding issues.

Similarly, the XL2420TE 144hz monitor is suppose to have slightly better color reproduction than the VG248QE 144hz monitor. And I have again read some reviews claim the VG248QE having minor screen bleeding and color uniformity issues.

At this point, I know all of these displays are pretty high end displays. So I think I might be nit picking here, still I'm having a hard time deciding and I'm hoping to get some input from someone who might know more that I, or who has experience with any of these displays. What I want is a good all around monitor that has low input lag for gaming, but that is also good for general use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Another monitor I have been looking at is the LG 23.8IN AH-IPS which is considerably cheaper than the above 4, but I can't seem to find any info on them. I'm assuming because they are new models, is not AH-IPS suppose to be better than e-IPS? So these might also be another good option, but I don't know anything about them.

Last edited:
I've seen and used the benq in person and for a TN panel it's colours are quite good. And this is coming from a Dell U2711H user.

I have found zero input lag issues with my dell, though unsure if that model dell has it.

I would be looking between the Dell IPS vs the Benq 144 personally.

I also found the benq, for a TN panel, has great viewing angles. If you don't really need the colour accuracy of an IPS panel, but still want something solid to look at, but then want that edge in gaming, I'd go the BenQ. I'd only pick the Dell or IPS models if you're more into photoshop work or the like, or just use your machine for 90% general use and videos music Etc. If you're at half half, where the second half is gaming. Grab the Benq.

Agree, look at what you are doing, if over 50% is gaming go with the fast TN if the latter go IPS,

I have a 27" Crossover IPS screen, personally I recomend IPS displays simply because they are drop dead georgous

I've seen and used the benq in person and for a TN panel it's colours are quite good. And this is coming from a Dell U2711H user.

I have found zero input lag issues with my dell, though unsure if that model dell has it.

I would be looking between the Dell IPS vs the Benq 144 personally.

I also found the benq, for a TN panel, has great viewing angles. If you don't really need the colour accuracy of an IPS panel, but still want something solid to look at, but then want that edge in gaming, I'd go the BenQ. I'd only pick the Dell or IPS models if you're more into photoshop work or the like, or just use your machine for 90% general use and videos music Etc. If you're at half half, where the second half is gaming. Grab the Benq.

Agree, look at what you are doing, if over 50% is gaming go with the fast TN if the latter go IPS,

I have a 27" Crossover IPS screen, personally I recomend IPS displays simply because they are drop dead georgous

this is no My thread But I must say Many thanks for the Help

Im looking for a Monitor 90% Gaming So what do you think ? the BenQ or the ASUS VG248QE witch one Is really Better ??

Thank's for the responses, I became aware of the XL2420Z which is only $50 more. So I may go with that. It has a few extra features but has an issue with the firmware that is currently being worked out. I won't be buying it till May so hopefully the issue with the firmware will be worked out.

The main reason is that the XL2420Z has the strobbing feature and flicker free backlighting. This is what really sets it apart from the Asus.

EDIT: There also seems to be the BenQ XL2411Z which is similar to the XL2420Z with minor differences that can be had for $330 instead of 400+. I may look into getting this model.

Last edited:
Back