• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impossible download speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Change your CAT5 cables... I ran into that exact same problem more than once.

I already tested that by using a different cable, a wireless dongle and even an Acer Aspire One. The **** latency and bandwidth remained constant.

Still nothing that changing cables has to do with. ;)

It's always a good idea to test everything. You never know where the problem may lie.

Alright, I don't know what changed but everything seems to be all good now.
3600702770.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think EA either has their own CDN or is licensed to some CDN with servers colocated at some providers' networks. I just had to re-download some games on Origin that I had wiped from my drive. I have 20 Mbps TWC cable, and Origin was downloading at over 80 Mbps (and I'm pretty darn sure there's no compression algorithm anywhere that can cut 100% of files down to 25% of their already-compressed original size).

I don't think there is a problem to fix here... this seemed to me like a 'look at my speeds' thread in a positive way... :confused:

You need some new bifocals my friend haha

Oh no, my beautiful 8 Mb/s, what happened to you? Have a look at this, it's terrifying! http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3599473001

Still nothing that changing cables has to do with. ;)

yes.... yes it does. Bad CAT cables can cause this very problem, as I've experienced it twice in the past couple months.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/common-causes-of-network-slowdowns/

http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/signs-ethernet-cable-isnt-working-right-33404.html

I already tested that by using a different cable, a wireless dongle and even an Acer Aspire One. The **** latency and bandwidth remained constant.

Fair enough. It's something thats happened to me a couple times, and it annoyed the crap out of me when I "figured it out" lol.

Last edited:
I had no idea his performance was bad... in the first post, he mentions it was FASTER than what he was getting. THAT is what I was going off of. I see now that after his reboot of the modem, there was a problem. :)

I still am not sure the cable would be the issue considering it worked just fine before that. Still its an easy swap to test (which we know he did). :)

I had no idea his performance was bad... in the first post, he mentions it was FASTER than what he was getting. THAT is what I was going off of. I see now that after his reboot of the modem, there was a problem. :)

I still am not sure the cable would be the issue considering it worked just fine before that. Still its an easy swap to test (which we know he did). :)
Yeah, this thread has gone a little off topic hasn't it :p

Yes, easy swap and it does happen. The first time this happened to me I went from 30mbps to less than 1. I spent HOURS on the phone with a tech from charter. We did everything a million times, and finally he told me to replace all the cables. Voila, easy fix. A month later it happened again, got kinked behind my desk and did it again. All is well here apparently tho.

Last edited:
Back