• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are going to have to narrow that down a bit. What type of SSD for starters. They vary so much that it isn't even funny, from low end J.Micron MLC drives for $100 to high end SLC Intel and Samsung drives. Then you have different raid set-ups, on-board and both low end and high end RAID cards, with variations on low end and high end drives. You just need to narrow down what you are looking for. Also there are a ton of lengthy threads right below, grab a cup of coffee and do some reading.

Yeah ive seen them. Im thinking of buying one.
I rather get something an OCF member approves off.

Last edited:
Yeah ive been looking at gettin 2 120gb vertex to raid 0 them or one single 250gb vertex

Using an X25-M and extremely happy with it. It's probably the best single component upgrade I've ever made.

Ya we are trying that x25 at work on a small DB. It is pretty silly vs the crappy I/O we had on it previously.

Last edited:
I installed an Intel X-25M 80 GB into my laptop and that was by far the best and noticeable speed upgrade i did to a 2 year lappy.
The thing boots in 30 seconds!! It boots as fast as my desktop on a 300 GB velociprator.

Also I did install a Samsung 256GB SSD into my desktop too!! Feels 3 times faster thatn the 300 GB Velociraptor
If I only installed an SSD before spending crazy amount of $$$$$ on custom water cooling to overclocking for speed.

In other words I would have 5 SSD's in raid 0 and not have $1500 in water cooling.

I have been OCing for almost 10 year to squeeze out all the extra speed out of the PC and
this is by far the best upgrade I ever did that yielded noticeable speed increase.

Singe Samsung 256 GB SSD/W Vista 64bit Crystal Mark:

samsung256-2.jpg

Custom Water Cooling: I know, Crazy!!!

MM24015.jpg

I will get a pic of my 4 Vertex on HW Raid benchmark when I get home.

The short of it is that sustained reads cap my raid card at around ~800MB/s. They are pretty insane and worth every penny. You definitely need to do your research though. There are some garbage SSDs out there. Go with either the Intels or OCZ Vertex and you cant go wrong.

I will get a pic of my 4 Vertex on HW Raid benchmark when I get home.

The short of it is that sustained reads cap my raid card at around ~800MB/s. They are pretty insane and worth every penny. You definitely need to do your research though. There are some garbage SSDs out there. Go with either the Intels or OCZ Vertex and you cant go wrong.

4!!!

That sounds awesomee! :beer:

Im considering the P6T deluxe. You guys think the stock controller would give me good Raid 0? oppose to getting another seperate controller?

4x 500gb 72.12 Gates

c1ddaacbbe24627c52c1432b465b0566.jpg

Sorry Couldn't resist :)

4x 500gb 72.12 Gates

[*IMG]http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/c1ddaacbbe24627c52c1432b465b0566.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry Couldn't resist :)

Try some 4k random reads, etc., and notice how your average access time is 14.4ms vs. less than one tenth of a millisecond (under 0.1ms) on the SSD setup :).

I am running a single 64GB Samsung SLC SSD myself and L O V E it... it isn't putting up the sensationalistic #'s on raw MB/s sequential reads, but the randoms are amazing while sequentials are fast enough to make things seem near-instant. Plus, it will last and last since it's not an MLC with few write cycles and won't slow down as it speeds up. I'm going to add a second one in RAID 0 probably because I want more space... just the single SLC SSD has given me the "WOW" factor, so it's not because I need more speed even though its sequential performance is only around 2/3 of a single Vertex (random reads are higher though). The access time is amazing (no stutter or pauses in games upon loading anything, apps don't have any stutter/slowdown from HDD reading, etc.).

If you can afford an SSD, I recommend the Vertex if you don't mind fiddling with tweaks a lot... as far as wanting something you can nearly pop-in-and-use, I'd recommend the Samsung SLC SSD: all I did was format it with 4k cluster size, disable hibernation/drive indexing/automatic defrag, then move the swap file to an alternate HDD, and it runs like a champ.

EDIT: Benches:

samsungslcssd.jpg

samsungslcssd2.jpg

Last edited:
Try some 4k random reads, etc., and notice how your average access time is 14.4ms vs. less than one tenth of a millisecond (under 0.1ms) on the SSD setup :).

I'm aware. But when you have 2TB of fast storage in the forum of SSD talk to me :)

Back