• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I sell my 7950 for a GTX card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alzerm

I bought a Powercolor 7950 on black friday for 179 w/ a $30 MIR. I see 7950's going for about 450 right now on newegg when in stock. Should I sell mine while they are in high demand and pick up a GTX card? I would get a 280x but they are up to 400 and not in stock too often. For about 400 would I be better off with a GTX card over a 280x post mantle or should I just stay with what I have now?

Edit: I will be playing BF4 on 1920x1080

Why not, if you can make a buck go for it. Just watch the retail prices don't plummet. Might be able to pick up a 4gb GTX 770

Well the reason I was asking was because apparently mantle is suppose to give up to a 20% increase in performance to some AMD cards. The 7950 has 3gb and 384-bit bus. For price/performance that is pretty good. I purchased an Asus 280x (the 2 slot one) for 340 w/ change the tuesday before black friday but was not charged until a week later after my 7950 had already arrived (since I ordered that due to no word). That was a pretty good price for it seeing as they are 400+ now and mantle should give them a bump in performance I hear.

I am hesitant because of the smaller bus width on the GTX cards and vram. I saw a 770 w/ 4gb but for 380ish on newegg. I hear the 280x and 770 2gb are around the same performance but how will they compare post mantle? As of right now the 770 is cheaper than the 280x but do you guys think it'd be worth it post mantle?

Is the gtx card a better performer than a 280x card for BF4? Just wondering why you're looking to go from Radeon to nvidia.

Also someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the better investment to get higher VRAM on GPUs for future proofing?

Also someone correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the better investment to get higher VRAM on GPUs for future proofing?

Exactly why I had the 770 4gb in mind due to price now over the 280x w/ 3gb. Faster memory clock, extra gig of vram and cheaper but smaller bus. Will it still sound and or perform as nice compared to amd post mantle is what has stopped me. Just trying to get the best bang for my buck :D

Edit: Not the same card but a bit relevant

"The problem that few people are seeing with these custom 290s is that there is not enough supply, and the manufacturers knowing that will drive up the MSRP.

What AMD couldn't have foreseen when deciding how many Hawaii GPUs to fab was the sudden surge in the price of Litecoin. The scrypt hashers will buy the entire supply of 290/290X even at $100-200 over MSRP because it is just that profitable at the moment.

The market is already priced that way. Try to buy a 280X/290/290X and you'll see that the ones in stock are all at least $100 over MSRP. The people who just want them as graphics processors are priced out of the market, and all except the AMD diehards will buy NVidia instead since they now have the better price/performance"

Last edited:
Well the reason I was asking was because apparently mantle is suppose to give up to a 20% increase in performance to some AMD cards. The 7950 has 3gb and 384-bit bus. For price/performance that is pretty good. I purchased an Asus 280x (the 2 slot one) for 340 w/ change the tuesday before black friday but was not charged until a week later after my 7950 had already arrived (since I ordered that due to no word). That was a pretty good price for it seeing as they are 400+ now and mantle should give them a bump in performance I hear.

I am hesitant because of the smaller bus width on the GTX cards and vram. I saw a 770 w/ 4gb but for 380ish on newegg. I hear the 280x and 770 2gb are around the same performance but how will they compare post mantle? As of right now the 770 is cheaper than the 280x but do you guys think it'd be worth it post mantle?

Some of the 770 4gb cards are almost the same price as the 2gb

On ebay it'll probably go for $350ish, and you'll get $300 of that after ebay, paypal, and shipping costs.

You could pick up a used gtx 670 for under $200 easily, have around the same performance and pocket a hundred bucks.

On ebay it'll probably go for $350ish, and you'll get $300 of that after ebay, paypal, and shipping costs.

You could pick up a used gtx 670 for under $200 easily, have around the same performance and pocket a hundred bucks.

I will be selling via amazon so will only get decked about 20ish.

Here is techspots review. Not exactly the same res you play, but should still be comparable.

The 770 is about 8 FPS faster with less VRam. Keep in mind Mantle has not been optimized yet so these numbers should change. How much? Your guess is as good as any.

Those benchmarks are based off the campaign aren't they? Also because of this and the mining craze I might hold off a tad to see if prices go up even higher and in hopes of mantle being released while prices are high as hell.

It would be nice to upgrade and pocket a bit of cash. Either way it looks like a win win to me since I only payed $200 and I haven't even received my MIR yet. Just want to get the best possible card without paying anything else out of pocket and or paying more than what it's worth :cool:

Last edited:
I did it after reading this thread, listed my 7950 on ebay for $360 and it sold in 30 minutes (I should have listed it higher I guess). After fees and shipping I'll get $300, which I already spent on a GTX 770 at newegg for $266 after rebate and masterpass coupon.

semi related... was looking at some of the "mining" outfits on ebay earlier...... the prices are atrocious! And I seriously doubt some of the claims. mines xxx blah this and that an hour. user receives, not getting anywhere near that, seller can just say "must be your mining program".

it only worked because ebay was the only place that had them. all of the retailers and e-tailers were OOS and also price gouging. now the vendors are starting to have stock again, AND the price of BTC has dropped immensly, making the GPU farm idea a lot less profitable (or take longer)

when i sold my 7950 (at the height). i just wanted it sold and didnt care about getting maximum $s for it.

1 day auction, $180 starting price, buy it now option $250.
required immediate paypal payment and i limited my buyers to be domestic and good payment history.
sold in 2hours via buy it now.
bought the card for $150 :)

Back