• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can i upgrade to 270/280x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fosk

Looking to upgrade my GPU for the latest games! I have a older pc which im trying to get a little more life out of before i need to change mobo/cpu before i pass it off to my brother and buy a new work station.

current specs

Intel i7 920 @ 3.2 ghz with Asus Triton cooler
Asus Rampage II extreme
Corsair 1600mhz 12 gig ram
1 tb WD 7200 rpm hdd
Antec 1200
Nvidia 9800 gt 512 meg (had a EVGA 295 that recently died)

Im looking to either buy a 270x or 280x mostly because of the value for money i receive over buying another evga/nvidia, i know the 280x would be more future proof then the 270x but im not looking to limit its capability too much with bottleneck.

Now i know my Mobo and Cpu is quite old and PCI 2 and these cards are PCI 3 with backwards support correct? Just wondering if this sounds like it would work on paper? What is the bottle neck going to be like for my CPU/GPU together? i7 920 still rates more then capable on all these spec websites and most games dont even suggest more then duo or quad cores at most still. I want to get a GPU that will last a good 2-3+ years as my 295 lasted just over 4!

To my surprise the 9800 gt actually plays most games on 60+ fps 1920x1080 but its pretty much with all gfx options on minimal

Games im looking at playing in the future on this GPU/CPU setup

Elder Scrolls Online, Day Z Stand Alone, Star Citizen, and some eye candy FPS games

I think Day Z and Star Citizen will be the main ones that require a solid system to run well.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S couldnt see anything in the sticky is there anywhere good i can read up about the differences in Dual-X, Vapor and Toxic. I know the Toxic has three fans and the Vapor is ment to have a slightly better fan then the Dual X? but i am looking for some more solid answers and not just a yahoo Q and A i stumbled across.

Last edited:
I would overclock the CPU, but most certainly a 280x will be fine there. PCIe3 vs 2 is about 1% difference.

Back