• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill Trident X 2400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arazons

I just built a new system and I posted over in the Video Card forum regarding my new card. However I have a few questions regarding my ram as well.

I bought 32GB of G.Skill Trident X 2400. So far it has worked great. I am curious on the frequency readout of CPU-z though. I am more of a software guy and not a hardware guy so it confuses me when CPU-z states my max frequency is at 667 mhz. I under stand DDR doubles the speed. However that would still only be half of what it is rated at. I loaded the XMP profile in bios and the bios states the correct frequency. How can I be sure CPU-z is correct?

I am unable to post screens of cpu-z at the moment as I am at work. I will later this everning though.

Thanks for any help or clarification anyone can provide.

Have you tried setting your speed/timing/voltage manually instead of using XMP?

Arazons :welcome: to the forums. You are correct about the DDR you're actually running around 1333. Also about changing it in the bios. But to further help you we would need to know more about your system. Please post your system like in my signature so that we can help locate the issue. My initial guess is teh mobo may not support 2400, but without knowing what;s in the case I cant tell.

EDIT: Well, just found your other post and your Maximus is definitly capable of more than 1333. LOL please list anyhow for future reference though.

@ATMINSIDE, I have not tried to as of yet I dont want to poke too hard at the settings yet manually.

@Blay, I had meant to post it as I did on my GPU post however I apparently forgot.

CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 GHz w/ Thermaltake NiC C5 Cooler
MOBO - ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 WATT
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified 3GB
RAM - G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB DDR3 2400
CASE - NZXT Source 530
SSD - Crucial MX100 512 GB
HDD - Hitachi Sata 7200 1 TB
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

RAM is something (especially high speed RAM) that is best done manually.

Like others said, it looks like memory is set to auto so it's running at basic SPD settings of 1333 9-9-9. All you have to do is to enable XMP profile. There should be 2 profiles and both are similar ( 1 or 2 timings slightly different ). If one of them won't work for some reason then second will. G.Skill is preparing every memory kit to work with all motherboards on the market that's why these 2 profiles.

Also be sure you're saving the BIOS settings once you make those changes.

Yea there insignificant differences in the XMP profiles. But I did only tried one of them. I will try the other before I manually set timings.

If it's working on XMP then you don't have to set anything manually. You can if you wish to set improved settings. In this case can check lower tRFC - depends from auto settings can try something like 148, 182, 212... Also Command Rate 1N should work on Haswell ( auto is always 2 ).
I don't think you can make much more with other timings as it's 32GB kit but can always try.

Back