• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having some memory problems with 8KDA3J

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebuchadnazzar

I'm using the comp in my sig, 8KDA3J and a 2800+ CO and i'm having alot of issues with my ram, I have 2 sticks of 512mb 3200 kingston hyperX and when i put both sticks in i have to run them at under 170MHz or it can't pass Super-Pi.
If i try running them at 1:1 with the CPU i don't get a signal to my monitor at all.

If i use only 1 stick of ram I can run it 1:1 with the cpu at 235MHz fine. I see alot of other people using 2 sticks of 512mb ram running them at 1:1 so what's up with mine? I really want to use both sticks at a decent speed.

Set one stick in Diimm1 (closest to the cpu) and the other stick in DIMM3 (farthest fro mthe cpu) The middle slot sucked for me also i could never even reach 200mhz on that

Ok. When i have both sticks in, it's simply unstable, i couldn't play games without the game crashing or the comp freezing so i had to take out a stick.
So in the manual for the board it says it only supports 1 stick of double sided ram, maybe that's why it won't work. I think they are pretty stupid for not supporting one of the most common memory types.
Oh well maybe i can sell the hyperX and get a single 1GB stick instead.

It not just this board, all the A64 boards are like this, the A64 is very picky about Double Sidded memory, alot of the popular brands for AXPS's or P4 dont work in A64's.

Try using memtest86 on both sticks by themselves for about 10 tests to see if the actuall sticks are fine.

I was lucky i still had my pc3200 Samsung stick which works on everything imaginable, and once i asked around for memory buying for the A64 i found (at the time) that ADATA was the best to use. Thier one of the best because now they have the Samsung TCCD chips in them.

I highl;y and strongly against u buying a 1GB single stick thats even worse. Get 2x512mb pc4000 or pc4200 ADATA from www.Komusa.com Go to the hyperram store and when u pick the pc4000 or pc4200 just change the memory type from hyperram to ADATA

ADATA Is pretty cheap, $120 for pc4200 512mb

I can't get my board to run at any decent speed either with a 512mb stick of Mushkin Level 1 and a 256mb stick of the same. I can't even get it to run as fast or stable as my cheap PC3500, so I'm just using that. If you can find any, Kreton PC3500 runs up to 222mhz 2-3-3-6 in my 8KDA3J. I can't find it anywhere anymore, but I got it on Newegg a few months ago for less than $90 for 2 256mb sticks. Works great in DIMMs 1 and 2 or 1 and 3.

There are memory issues in C0 processor that are addressed in CG step. Try running timings of 8-4-4-3 or 8-3-3-3 with 2T with max mem clock set for Auto and ensure VDimm is set for 2.7V.

Maybe they are having problems because of your cpu
K8 which are C0 doesn't allow your ram to run at 2T
It forces your ram to run at 1T
You can change a CG CPU to try

I can't set the memory to 2T, it's locked at 1T. Unfortunately i don't think anyone around has a CG CPU I could play around with. I don't think the CO likes my ram at all because on auto with 1 stick of ram it sets the timings to 3-3-3-8 anyway, and when i try lower timings like 2.5-3-2-7 the comp won't boot :(

Back