• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8.1 Screen Flickering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luke1978

I have found what seems to be a fix for the screen flickering I have been experiencing in Windows 8.1 Enterprise. Long story short, when extended desktop is enable on my HDTV through HDMI, my MAIN display that is hooked up via DVI has terrible screen flickering on the bottom where the taskbar is. The problem does NOT happen when extended desktop is enabled on 2 DVI monitors (I use a small monitor for things like the map in DayZ, and battlescreen in BF4)

This problem did NOT exist in windows 7 with the same equipment, drivers, etc (Since changing to Windows 8.1 I have tried 13.12, 14.1, 14.2, and 14.3 drivers, the problem is persistent)

Was really bugging me today, so I figured I'd mess around with settings and see if it randomly fixed itself. Which led me to advanced setting for the monitor. Once there I unchecked hide modes this monitor does not support, and set it to 59mHz refresh rate.... Which seems to have fixed the issue so far.

Which leads to the following questions, what, if any negative effects will this have in the long run? Any ideas for a different fix, besides going back to windows 7?

If 1 MHz resolved your issue, I would sleep sound without worrying about damage from it...

What monitors are in question? If one is a TV, then that would make sense. Most TVs (not monitors) are set to run at 59.4hz and not 60hz, so to get around that 59hz is available as an option for video related content. It could possibly be an issue of having one monitor trying to run at 60hz while the other at 59hz, even though in Windows they are both running at 59.4hz.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2006076
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-between/8213fe3d-f35c-44b9-8f0f-445af6c3882d

Both 59Hz and 60Hz are translated to 59.94Hz before these values are sent to the driver. Therefore, the display is identical at 59Hz and 60Hz.

Certain monitors report a TV-compatibility timing of 59.94Hz. Therefore, Windows 8 exposes two frequencies, 59Hz and 60Hz, for every resolution that is supported at that timing. The 59Hz setting makes sure that a TV-compatible timing is always available for an application such as Windows Media Center. The 60Hz setting maintains compatibility for applications that expect 60Hz.

Should be no short or long term negative effects.

Back