• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What games have u managed to play in your Note???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@crilicM@n

Hy people, i´d just like to know what kind of games can you play with you notebooks at a decent frame rate with reasonable datail levels... Please post the game and your laptopconfiguration (processor, videocard and ram). I´m an ocasional gamer, but would like to know what is able to play what before buying :attn: ... Thanks

It depends upon the notebook but ive seen my roomie play:

Halo
Call of Duty

..just fine on his lappy. I would also assume HL2 would play decentaly

So far I have only played HL2 on my notebook. Specs are in my sig. I managed 72.90 FPS with the Counter-Strike:Source video stress test running a resolution of 1024x768 and everything on max. My notebook was folding well the stress test was going, so I am not sure if it effected my FPS or not ... Either or I am happy with 72.90 FPS hehe

Penel said:
So far I have only played HL2 on my notebook. Specs are in my sig. I managed 72.90 FPS with the Counter-Strike:Source video stress test running a resolution of 1024x768 and everything on max. My notebook was folding well the stress test was going, so I am not sure if it effected my FPS or not ... Either or I am happy with 72.90 FPS hehe
do you need a hand cart and a little Honda generator to take that thing around? ;)

but seriously, do you have AA and AF on?!? that FPS seems pretty good for 8xAA and 16AF...

On a dell 600m, 1.3ghz P-M Banias, 32mb(64-bit) Mobility Radeon 9000, 384mb ram.

I played counter-strike, warcraft 3, splintercell (probably 30fps max), UT2k4.
I also tried the Far Cry demo and the laptop died a horrible death. It was like <1 fps and was totally unplayable.

Dc5e said:
On a dell 600m, 1.3ghz P-M Banias, 32mb(64-bit) Mobility Radeon 9000, 384mb ram.

I played counter-strike, warcraft 3, splintercell (probably 30fps max), UT2k4.
I also tried the Far Cry demo and the laptop died a horrible death. It was like <1 fps and was totally unplayable.

That´s probably the kind of game I´ll paly sometimes... If a 32mb(64-bit) Mobility Radeon 9000 is Ok... well.. an Radeon mobility 9200 128bit will do enough i think..... Or Not? i´m not shure... the 9200 doesn´t have less pipeline units that 9000? Dãããr... :burn:

I can play Call of Duty on my 600m(1.8ghz, 1 gig o' ram, ati 9000 64mb). Everything has to be turned down though and the fps are still kinda low.

Michael

@crilicM@n said:
Whell Penel... That monster can run anything I think :)

For now I think hehe. Give it a few more years and youll see me whining here on the boards how my notebook wont be able to keep up with the newer games lol :bday:

Well, this is what I've been working with;

Compaq Presario 17XL260
P/// 800 MHz (SpeedSteps down to 650 on battery) 100FSB, Coppermine core, 256kb L2 cache
384 MB PC100 (256+128)
ATi IGP Radeon Mobility "M1", with 8MB dedicated ram.
30GB IBM TravelStar

This plays MS Hearts, Solitaire, and Pinball very well. :thup:

Seriously....I've gotten this to play UT '99 on low settings, @ 1024x768 fairly well. I've also got Microsoft's Midtown Madness 2 installed, and it runs this better than UT '99. Pretty much everything else I've got needs far more graphics power than this machine has to work with...NOLF2, TR AoD, UT2K4, D3, etc... Not able to run them.

I just got this running last night, and haven't gotten too far testing yet;

Compaq Presario 1720US
P///-M 1000 MHz (SpeedSteps down to 733 depending on load) 133 FSB, Tualitin core, 512kb L2 cache
786 MB PC133 (512+256)
ATi IGP Radeon Mobility "M6", with 8MB dedicated ram.
6GB IBM TravelStar

I've gotten UT '99 loaded (and don't really have much room for anything else, w/ the 6 gigger being the only drive I have available), but the 1720US runs UT '99 much MUCH better than the 17XL260 does. Still @ 1024x768, but I can set the details to high.

Once I get a bigger drive to work with (or swap out the 30 gigger from the 17XL260), I'll see what else this will run.

B.

EDIT....fired up the XL260 for something last night...clean forgot about having Test Drive 5 installed on it. It runs that one really well, actually.

Last edited:
Specs are in sig, this might skew your expectations, but here goes:

I havn't run into a game I can't play at 1024x768 with a smooth framerate. HL2 runs at an extremely high frame rate 99% of the time while Doom 3 seems to like to hang around 50 fps. Havn't tried farcry simply because I've been to busy.

on my lappy I have managed to play HL2 at a decent 30fps... with a little tweaking and vid card oc'ing I mangaed to get it to play with most settings on medium and 800x600 resolution... the framerate usually only fell during large explosions right in my face. The biggest component holding me back is my 56k connection while playing deathmatch and I'm used to lagging playing ut2k4 online so slow framerates don't affect me at all anyways.

I have also recently undertaken Homeworld 2 and the game playes decently... unless I zoom in really close on a ship then the comp completelly dies and drops to like 4fps but if i stay away from those closeup shots it plays pretty decent also.

Starcraft: ya I know starcraft will play on anything...
ut2k4:
space empires 3: one of my favorite turn-based strategy games fps don count with this.
deusex 2: this was awhile ago but it ran it ok

p-m 1.6ghz 512MBram oc'd go 5200 32mb

i can't wait to get my 9600proturbo :)

Thanks guys...... Perhaps the way to go for a gamer is at leas a dedicated card like 9600, x700, x800, gfgo 440/5200.... at least....

@crilicM@n said:
Thanks guys...... Perhaps the way to go for a gamer is at leas a dedicated card like 9600, x700, x800, gfgo 440/5200.... at least....

I'd have to say so. IGP (Integrated Graphics Processors) and high end gaming go together like oil and water.

That's why my next laptop "project" after I finish the Presario 1720US is gonna be a Dell Inspiron 8600. These will take a Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB card. Every now and again I see plastics kits on eBAY for 'em, and dead machines getting parted out.

Building it from scratch will give me the opportunity to configure it the way I want...Pick the CPU, video card, etc.

Unless I hit the lottery big, then I'll just buy a new Sager. :p

Notebook:
HPZe4600us
AMD XPM 1.7GHz
ATi Radeon IGP320M

Games:
Delta Force Black Hawk Down
Quake 3
Hitman 2

I agree with Mr.B 100% ; IGP =....laaaagg :(

Back