• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a decent CPU Cooler for 2600k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B7akk0

Registered
Hi!
I have recently been down to my local computer shop and they don't have the Coolermaster Hyper 212 I was after, however they DID have this;

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6740

It is a tiny bit cheaper than the 212, but still looks like a half decent budget cooler (I am on a budget)

Would it be good enough for an i7 2600k 4.4~ ghz O.C?

Looking at the heatsink you linked, I think it would be very marginal for your parameters on your overclock. I see by looking at your posting IP address that you are in Australia; there should be some decent e-tailers down there you can get a better cooler from for a reasonable price.

Just doing a quick search, I came across this Hyper 212 EVO, which is the latest model of the Hyper 212 series for $42 and that would do a much better job of cooling.

I would agree with muddocktor I have that cooler on my duel core 2.66 and it works great but on a quad 2600k at 4.4 I would want a cooler with a 120mm fan on it.

I found a wholesale computer shop near my house, here is a list of the cpu coolers they stock;

31421976.png

which ones out of that list should I pay attention to? :)

depending on your price point. I would look for minimum of 3 to 6 heat pipes and a 120mm fan maybe even 2 x 120mm fans.

I have used the thermaltake spinq-vt great cooler but does not fit most cases its really tall and is horrible if you have pets the hair gets caught in the fins

I have a Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case so the size probably isn't a problem :)

B7akk0, that looks like MSY's listings? You in Aus? o.o

That TX3 Evo will take you to 4.2ghz no sweat. 1.25v and you're there. If you want to hit 4.5ghz and require say, 1.35v; you may find your temps start to rise quite fast.

Personally I buy from PC Case Gear.. They might not be the cheapest; and their postage to outside Melb sucks; but they're reliable with good customer service.. MSY is just dodgy :p. But they're cheap so hmm..

I live between MSY AND PC Case Gear so either of those places are fine for me :) and yes, that is an MSY listing

Thanks for linking the 212 Evo at a store local to him for me, Mjolnir. That's a good price/performance choice and will easily cool his system. I just did a quick search and I was familiar with mwave.com, which is a big US e-tailer I have dealt with in the past. I didn't know they had operations in Australia until I found them last night, so I don't know how good an e-tailer they are down there in Oz.

Mwave are good but often not the cheapest. I personally stick to pccg. Msy is arguably the cheapest but they are a bit dodgy.. Mwave are good though. I've just never bought anything from them though lol.

Mwave are good but often not the cheapest. I personally stick to pccg. Msy is arguably the cheapest but they are a bit dodgy.. Mwave are good though. I've just never bought anything from them though lol.

Lol, yup. I've a hatred of MSY. The number of times I've called up the local MSY asking if a particular part is in stock, then you get there and they don't but try sell you a cheaper dodgy generic part. I just deal with UMart Online and PCCaseGear now. Both are excellent by comparison. They will both ship parts to you also.

UMart - http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2
PC Case Gear - http://www.pccasegear.com/

Back