• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shopping for an AMD setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

simviatoR

Had a Phenom II 920 black edition way back - but been strictly Intel since then.

Now shopping for something AMD - something that's going to overclock super well (I need to be able to push 4.5+) and be a solid gamer. I'm on a tight budget though, and am looking at the Microcenter near me - I can't figure out what the difference is between each FX series CPU and A8/10 series APU's (I know the FX is CPU only and the A's come with integrated graphics, but for instance what is the difference between the FX6300 and 6350?)

The difference between the 6300 and 6350 is clock speed. The 6350 having a higher base clock than the 6300 and higher turbo frquency too I think, better binning in the 6350 as well. I don't know what you're willing to spend but the 6350 and a 990FX board with min 8+2 power phases and a decent cooler (CM hyper 212 evo at min) should get you in the 4.5 ghz range probly need more cooler than the evo but it may be enough. If you want to push real hard water is neccesary as these chips run hot. If you're just gaming you probly don't need to go any higher than the 63xx series, its a very capable gamer with a decent videocard behind it.

Had a Phenom II 920 black edition way back - but been strictly Intel since then.

Now shopping for something AMD - something that's going to overclock super well (I need to be able to push 4.5+) and be a solid gamer. I'm on a tight budget though, and am looking at the Microcenter near me - I can't figure out what the difference is between each FX series CPU and A8/10 series APU's (I know the FX is CPU only and the A's come with integrated graphics, but for instance what is the difference between the FX6300 and 6350?)

Same processor. 6300 is 95 watt, base clock of 3500 MHz. 6350 is 125 watt, base clock of 4000 MHz. The 6300 can easily reach the same speeds as a 6350. 6300 is cheaper. I have had two 6300's and both were stable at 4400 MHz with a cheap cooler. If you are at Microcenter I would recommend looking at an 8320 and a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Don't skimp on the motherboard if you want to overclock. You need 8+2 Phase Power. Heatsinks on your VRM's, Northbridge etc... If you do skimp you will regret it immediately. With this set up you need a discrete video card. If you want an APU you need an FM2+ board preferably. You also could get an Athlon II 760K and a discrete card and a FM2+ board. The future with AMD is in the FM2+. That being said your best bang for the buck imho is still AM3+ with 990FX chipset boards and FX processors.

The difference between the 6300 and 6350 is clock speed. The 6350 having a higher base clock than the 6300 and higher turbo frquency too I think, better binning in the 6350 as well. I don't know what you're willing to spend but the 6350 and a 990FX board with min 8+2 power phases and a decent cooler (CM hyper 212 evo at min) should get you in the 4.5 ghz range probly need more cooler than the evo but it may be enough. If you want to push real hard water is neccesary as these chips run hot. If you're just gaming you probly don't need to go any higher than the 63xx series, its a very capable gamer with a decent videocard behind it.

Disagree about 6350 being a higher binned part than a 6300-

8320 and 8350, higher clocks at same TDP points to higher binned silicon for the 8350. 6350 is not higher binned than a 6300 as the higher clock speed is in lock step with a higher TDP. 125 watt vs 95 watt. If you overclock a 6300 to 4000 Mhz it becomes a 125 watt part. In essence a 6350. If you underclock a 6350 it becomes a 95 watt part. A 6300.

8320 and 8350 both 125 watt TDP. 6350 = 125 watt TDP. 6300 = 95 watt TDP.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm no stranger to overclocking, watercooling etc.. I was just wondering what would be the better route. At Microcenter I can get the A10-6800K and GA-F2A88X-UP4 for $199 - is that a better set-up over a FX 6300/6350? I plan to get a dedicated video card too.

A8/A10 APUs are 2 module/4 core CPUs, IE FX-4300 (except the latest, which uses Steamroller architecture, is more advanced then FX-series to date).
If you are using a discrete video card better than an HD6670 or HD7750 the FM2 Athlon AT $80 is a 2 module 4 core Piledriver CPU. This is a cost effective build with FM2/FM2+. (you are not paying for video you do not intend to use) No Steamroller Athlon chips yet.
FX-series has no iGPU component in CPU chip. FX-6300/FX-6350 are 3 module 6 core processors. FX-8320/8350 are 4 module 8 core processors.

Generally fx-6300/6350 perform better than the Phenom II x4/x6 CPUs for gaming. If you can the FX-8320 is considered cost effective and better (budget allowing).
Specifically it depends on the games you play, some can take advantage of more cores.

Every cpu is binned or they would have no idea what to sell the cpu as what model. There is really little need of 8 cores for gaming and likely not enough real use of it anytime soon and you surely have n0 idea yet how much more heat 8 cores full on overclocked put out compared to an FX-6350 at say 4.7Ghz which you might reach with stability on a good 8+2 VRM motherboard like the Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 or perhaps the ASRock FX Fatality Killer as "trents" mentioned.

IF I were not going with a board very very simlar to an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 which will keep the board from being a roadblock to a stable overlock in the 4.8Ghz plus range, then I would get the FX-6350 and the Asus M5A99fx Pro R2.0 with good air thru the case and say a Corsair H100, you likely could get the FX-6350 stable at about 4.7Ghz. But if you get an 8 core cpu the 2 cheaper boards I mentioned above do NOT have robust enough VRMs to handle the 8 core above approx 4.6Ghz unless you get a diamond in the rough piece of silicon in your cpu.

There are those of us been here since the release of FX processors and have answered probably 1000s of these help me overclock my shett after they buy too too dang cheap and have to release their "dream" speeds or buy better parts and pieces.

What I suggest comes after watching those with d*mn good water cooling have to stop at 4.5/6Ghz with an 8 core processor and lesser boards. You want speed on the cpu for gaming anyway and the FX-6350 should give you that in spades without breaking the bank.

If money becomes no object and W/C in heavy duty DIY setup were to be in the picture, you could do an Asus Sabertooth and 8 core and buzz on up there. It is money at as much speed as you can get stabilly with 2 hour of P95 blend mode that count for overall 24/7 use.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do and that includes backing up and going Intel. Just plain ole happy computering.
RGone...ster.

If money were not an object, AMD would be the wrong answer.
AMD gives lovely bang for the buck if you're paying less than 200 bucks for the cpu, above that and Intel generally either wins or eats AMD alive.

Something to keep in mind is that you need a very solid motherboard to really oc the fx bits, while you can oc Intel stuff on fairly inexpensive boards.

Go for bang / buck.

if your gameing on amd get the 6300/6350, pick one, I game on an 8350 and a 6300 both at 5.2.
to tell the truth the 8350 on 6 cores is the way to go for me because i got a real good one.
I run BIG water on both so i don't have to listen to fans.

oh get a better board, what ever your looking at, get a better board.

Back