• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 uses 15micron chip to slow!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spiritedandy

Premium Member
see if i have this right ...

the new 9800 use 15 micron chip so you will not be able to go above 400mhz

if they used 13 micron that would have opend it up more..

i wanted 400+:mad:

Yes, it uses .15 micron, but there's no set formula for what die process can reach what speeds.

The 9700 PRO uses .15 too, but peope were able to get it past 400.

thought the 15 micron was only rated to 400 im not impressed uptil now ...plus why is it being advertised as a 128 mb thought it was a 256?

the 128mb version is ouot now, and i think the 256 will be coming soon, but its gonna be expensive.

where did you here that the .15micron was maxed out at 400?

If 0.15 micron parts stopped at 400mhz, every last Pentium II, Pentium III and a few of the old Pentium IV's would have stopped at 400mhz too.

Oh wait, they didn't! :rolleyes:

Pentium 4 Williamette = 0.15micron process, 2ghz maximum clock speed. Any questions?

this was from guru a review of the board

Instead of moving towards a 0,13 Micron fabrication process, like the new 9600 and 9200 are, ATI decided it would be saver to go with the older 0.15 Micron process. I've been told by several technicians that this process can not go any further than roughly 400 MHz.

http://content.guru3d.com/article.php?cat=review&id=35

if the 256 is comming out i think ill wait for that was just about to sell my 9700 pro then :D

Hell pip, you're right... It was .18 - I knew something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on the right info. ;) Thanks for the correction...

The fabrication process size has very little to do with the upper clock speed, it instead has to do with the core design. The 0.18 micron Pentium 3 cores topped out at 1.13ghz and were basically at a brick wall for overclocking. However, with the differently-designed Pentium 4 core, that processes topped out at 2.0ghz with still a small bit of room for overclocking.

There are several factors that go into the maximum attainable clock, it's not just a micron thing.

spiritedandy said:
see if i have this right ...

the new 9800 use 15 micron chip so you will not be able to go above 400mhz

if they used 13 micron that would have opend it up more..

i wanted 400+:mad:

Who cares what process it's on.

If die size is everything, go buy an FX5800ULTRA or R9600PRO.

Of course, neither one of those holds a candle to the an R9800, but at least it's on a .13die...

spiritedandy said:
but still only go up to 400mhz its just not enough :mad:
nope its not will the 256mb version go higher?

That's kind of preposterous, considering that AMD's new chip will run at 800mhz

Why, specifiaclly, isn't it high enough. What's so magic about 400mhz?

If going over 400mhz is the end all for you, have you considered the R9600PRO- many overclocks get that little .13 core over 540mhz, imagine what a volt-mod and some decent cooling will do:)

But, if you want high-performance, go with a 9800, and simply overclock it, pretty easy to download and install a tweaker.

The NV35 is supposed to have a considerably S-L-O-W-E-R core than the NV30, so I don't think that will get you over 400 mhz, but who knows......

As far as the R9800256 having a higher core, just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
And how do you STILL know that 400mhz is where it stops? My modded 0.15micron 9500 non-pro card will hit 415mhz if I really push on it...

I guess here is the deal: You think 400mhz isn't fast enough? Fine. So you're going to go buy another card... Which card are you going to purchase that is actually ABLE to outperform the 9800? Especially a 9800 at "only" 400mhz

Please tell me, because I'm just a little curious. I guess you could get that Gainward 5800 Ultra Waterblocked FX, overclock it to like 560mhz on water, and then watch it lose to the 9800 at stock speed whenever you want equal visual quality.

er no not going to buy a card untill i find one that doesits job!
400 i stand by youres is modded and you will be buying a new card if you keep pushing it that hard...thats because its not ment to

The "mod" I have done is the 9700 mod to enable the other four pipelines, it is not a voltage mod nor is it any sort of hack. It's a different driver that allows the 9500 non-pro to use all eight pixel pipelines...

Why are you so dense? 400mhz doesn't mean jack squat, it has nothing to do with "doing it's job". If you want a video card who's job is to perform at more than 400mhz, go buy an NVIDIA 5800FX Ultra. That one will do more than 400mhz.

The only problem is, it still won't perform better than the 9800 will.

why do u keep repharsing it only does 400 mhz!!!
You will not know or find out until u try(remeber what i post right here)
its like saying no hooking a vcr cable to tv wont work and others say who knows if it will then u try it and it works. you see all cards are not the same so are cpus you have to try to know if it will or will not but u have to try or you will never know until some one tries it.........
It's the willing of trying that makes u learn more and to find out the big question WHY! or HOW or is it fast enough or does it do more then expected

Last edited:
woah woah woah. Wait a min, does it really matter what speed the core runs at, its only a number. Think aboiout it, in cpu terms, theres AMD's PR system. For example lets compare the r300 core to a thunderbird 1.4G fine, and the r350 is an xp clocked at 1.4ghz also. Whihc one is going to be faster? no question about it, the xp is a newer, faster core, it does more per clock cycle, so mhz= who cares. what matters is how much work it actually does while its ticking away at those frequencies. The same goes with gpu's, if its a newer faster core then it can run at a lower speed, but still do the same amount of actual work as the older core, running at a faster speed.

thanx
:)

Re: Re: 9800 uses 15micron chip to slow!!!

PreservedSwine said:

Who cares what process it's on.

If die size is everything, go buy an FX5800ULTRA or R9600PRO.

Of course, neither one of those holds a candle to the an R9800, but at least it's on a .13die...

I woul;d never hold a candle up to the fx that leaf blower wouold put it out in less than a second

You could volt mod your 9700 pro. I get 18.7k 3dmarks @ 400/700 (while I'm waiting for my blow holw 120 mm replacement fan).

Then you could have your core over 400 and up your marks to over 19k and not waste any money.

FX 5800 Ultra = space heater :p
9800 Pro = what a gfx card should be. and the .15 architecture is more stable than the .13 so you have a tougher core and so what if at default voltage it will only hit 400. at that 400 it will still lick a 5800 at 550 with ease. so think volt mod and real cooling.

Back