• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The SECRET of overclocking revealed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey you have any idea how good the Abit BE6 compares to the BE6-II? I'm not sure myself but I would liek to know

BE6-II has the advantage of 1 step of increase in fsb (I wished it so much when I could do 140 but not 150 with PII and also it can read from the internal diode (form my experiences the thermal cable reads 1-4C lower-not that bad)

nucro said:

BE6-II has the advantage of 1 step of increase in fsb (I wished it so much when I could do 140 but not 150 with PII and also it can read from the internal diode (form my experiences the thermal cable reads 1-4C lower-not that bad)

Fair Enough!

Correction

Correction Batboy and everyone else. There is NO secret to overclocking a computer. There cant be. A secret is supposed to be kept quiet, but everyone knows about them. But thats ok just as long as AMD or Intel doesnt start making chips that are completely overclockable. (Even though they said something like that with the Duron :) ) I dont see the prob w/ overclocking. Big deal they lose money if u buy a 632 mHZ prosessor and overclock it to 900. They all ready have the millions. I mean even motherboard companies agree w/ me. Anybody else think so?

Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid
Or am I just stoned

-Green Day- Basket Case

Correction

Correction Batboy and everyone else. There is NO secret to overclocking a computer. There cant be. A secret is supposed to be kept quiet, but everyone knows about them. But thats ok just as long as AMD or Intel doesnt start making chips that are completely overclockable. (Even though they said something like that with the Duron :) ) I dont see the prob w/ overclocking. Big deal they lose money if u buy a 632 mHZ prosessor and overclock it to 900. They all ready have the millions. I mean even motherboard companies agree w/ me. Anybody else think so?

It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid
Or am I just stoned

-Green Day- Basket Case

Re: Correction

pensfan10887 said:

Wait....what? I think batboy meant what the #1 concern you should have should be when looking to OC a computer, not anything specific like how to OC a particular machine. As for the corps. losing money, they only lock their chips so vendors can't sell comps as 900s with 750 OC'd chips in 'em. When the end user does it they lose negligible $$$ and it happens so rarely they don't even care.

Re: Correction

pensfan10887 said:

It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I just paranoid
Or am I just stoned

-Green Day- Basket Case

No secret? What are you talking about man? This post was written in a very well format which will help newbies to overclocking or want to start so they just don't take the bad step and burn cash.

Its simple you see everyday people come with either branded computers or not good overclocking motherboards and some systems were built when they were already overclocking. Reading this guide could save alot of disapointment and hassle.

You try overclocking with a Intel motherboard or a Dell computer, I don't think its possible. Processors are trying to lock the fsb and multiplier to gain money obviously. Even 1% of the people who buy Intel are overclockers they still want the cash think of it as there's already cash already on the ground, all you have to do is pick it up. You may not think its a big deal since you aren't working for them and you really don't care how their progress is, although employees will get raises etc.

No I didn't mean that. I was just saying that everyone knows the secrets so theyre not secrets ne more. I didnt mean nething bad its good to help newbies. But the real secrets are the things that we dont know. Once we all find out about them they wont be secrets ne more. Then someone will find something else out on how to break locks to overclock until finally Intel or AMD make a processor that is TOTALLY unlockable. Sooner or later that may happen.

Come as you are, as you were,
As I want you to be
As a friend, as a friend, as an old enemy
Take your time, hurry up
The choice is yours, don't be late
Take a rest as a friend as an old memoria

Come dowsed in mud, soaked in bleach
As I want you to be
As a trend, as a friend, as an old memoria

And I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun

Nirvana- Come As You Are

pensfan10887 said:
No I didn't mean that. I was just saying that everyone knows the secrets so theyre not secrets ne more. I didnt mean nething bad its good to help newbies. But the real secrets are the things that we dont know. Once we all find out about them they wont be secrets ne more. Then someone will find something else out on how to break locks to overclock until finally Intel or AMD make a processor that is TOTALLY unlockable. Sooner or later that may happen.

Come as you are, as you were,
As I want you to be
As a friend, as a friend, as an old enemy
Take your time, hurry up
The choice is yours, don't be late
Take a rest as a friend as an old memoria

Come dowsed in mud, soaked in bleach
As I want you to be
As a trend, as a friend, as an old memoria

And I swear that I don't have a gun
No I don't have a gun

Nirvana- Come As You Are

But you forget people who are new to this sport don't know this is.

So this remains a secret for them and knowledge for us and we try to get it to them before they make bad steps.

Yeah your right. I understand what u r saying. I wasnt thinking about that i guess. I just was saying that these secrets are widely know around the world.

I'm having trouble trying to sleep
I'm counting sheep but runnin' out
As time ticks by
Still I try
No rest for crosstops in my mind
On my own here we go

(****)

My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed
Dried up and bulging out my skull
My mouth is dry
My face is numb
****ed up and spun out in my room
On my own here we go

My mind is set on overdrive
The clock is laughing in my face
Crooked spine
My sense is dulled
Passed the point of delirium
On my own here we go

My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed
Dried up and bulging out my skull
My mouth is dry
My face is numb
****ed up and spun out in my room
On my own here we go

Greenday-Brain Stew

BX chipset rulez:D
Anyway, seriously, people should read ahead b4 doing anything. Asking question is equally important, when in doubt, read, then ask!!:) LoNg LiVe BX!!

Okay this started out as a very good precise to the point statement for newbies to understand. Then 30 other people post with the same statement in a different language. Hasn't the point been made? Why must yous keep postin about the same thing the first post had in it? Thats where newbies get confused in geting the help. Everyone has different ways of saying the same thing, and they always want to post it in the same thread. If you see a valid point as in this thread, just agree or disagree. No need to say the same thing over and over.

Just my view on the subject. Great point everyone has made into great points though.

My 4 cents

I once was a motherboard designer for motorola and before that Pro-log Corp. We did pasive backplain and compact PIC mainboards. Here is the trick though about all the boards out there regardless of chipset.

The most time consuming part for all manufactures is trace routing on the board and it is also the most important. Running the traces even 1 in different than another design will yeald vastly different results. Bad routing will make a good chipset crappy and a bad chipset run better than it should. Its the same reason that not all VIA boards run the same even will all the same componentry onboard. Its why some video card manufactures make faster cards and can push beyond the SPEC envelope give by the chipset company. The hard part of finding that ULTIMATE board to run your system on.. isnt manufacture or chipset ( though it does count for a lot) its getting information on how it REALY RUNS. And hense this forum! tada. Or perhaps a knowledge base should be constructed that specificly targets MB performace using some standard. Though for the life of me I cannot think of a benchmark that could get into the nitty-gritty of isolating mainboard advantages because of the variances caused by everything from powersupply to memory type and configuration and cooling.

Meaty-BTZ

OVERCLOCKING DEFINED ~~~~~~ my provider tech said it BEST ~~~~~~~ it's all FM ~~~~~ and the second word is magic!!!

I had a teacher that said that. FM. His name was Bob Eben. Same person? probably not he learnt his stuff in the navy.

Yes, the motherboard makes a huge difference. I had an old duron 800 that would go over 900 stable on my motherboard. On my quadmate's motherboard, it would post but crash windows at 818!!!!!!!

Back