• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista not booting after hard drive removal.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tunnel

Ok here is the story, i used to have the following set up in my machine.

2 x 250GB Hard Drive in RAID 0 - O/S and game Storage (c:/)
1 x 160GB - Storage/ Backup of movies and photo's (f:/)
1 x 120GB PATA - NOT USED (e:/)

So i decided to remove the 120GB as it was just generating useless heat and space in my case. I removed the drive and then went to boot up my machine. When i booted it up it would not detect the drives in RAID. So i inserted the boot disk and clicked the repair tool. It finds the 500GB RAID disks as d:/ local disk. So i clicked repair and it said it found problems with the MBR on the O/S. So i repair and then I restarted my machine it detects the drives but after XP Loading screen it Blue Screens and restarts my machine and then it can't detect the drives again.

Anyway i can fix this problem without having to re-install vista?

Regards,
Greg

Last edited:
Have you tried putting the drive BACK in and booting??

Try removing the 160gb as well just as a test

oh phew... By the title I thought you expected your computer to boot Vista without a HD xD. Interesting problem... I'm not sure what the equivalents of fixboot and fixmbr are on vista but if you had xp... hmm

okay ive tried removing the 160Gb still the same problem, I can't put the 120GB back in as ive sold it. I think i pretty much have RAID issue fixed but now it is not detecting any O/S in the Vista repair console.

Any more suggestions?

I'm confused... XP loading screen but your talking about re-installing Vista? Is there some weird hybrid windows OS that I'm not aware of?

I just don't understand why you'd allow your HDD you sold to leave without first making sure your system boots without it.

What if you thought you weren't using it and your primary boot partition was actually that drive? It's more common a situation than most realize!

Back