• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cryostasis owners with ATI cards!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

It is obvious that you can not play Cryostasis with even the most powerful of ATI cards, because it lags anyway due it's BS nvidia coding. One of the solutions was to have an nvidia card installed in another pci-express slot just to have physics, but i am sure more people have common mobos with a single pci-express slot? So what should they do? Of course they can install physics software on top of CAT drivers, but it still lags.

In order to get proper frames, you have to have nvidia physics drivers installed, but physics itself turned off - how stupid is that?

So if anybody has got an ATI card, please share your frustrating experiences..

Chill, yo. Are you SURE there isn't anything else on your system causing an issue? I cannot imagine a brand new 5870 wouldn't destroy that game. My experience with the game is prolly irrelevant because I use nVidia, huh? ;)

I use Nvidia with another dedicated PhysX card too.

But two friends are playing it on high end ATI no problem.

theres one setting in the graphics you have to change and the glitch goes away :clap:

theres one setting in the graphics you have to change and the glitch goes away :clap:

What setting is that?

I use Windows XP.

I use HD4870 - get 43 to 45 FPS in Crysis DX9 benchmark, but when i loaded Cryostasis, i found out 10 to 13 FPS on my fraps indicator. Obviously fishy here..

What setting is that?

I use Windows XP.

I use HD4870 - get 43 to 45 FPS in Crysis DX9 benchmark, but when i loaded Cryostasis, i found out 10 to 13 FPS on my fraps indicator. Obviously fishy here..

I have a 4870 and run Cryostasis just fine :confused:

i get the same issue. i blast through metro 2033 on full settings except tesselation in dx11, 40+ frames the whole time. yet when i load up cryostasis on max setting, except physx obviously cause i have ati cards, i only get around 60-70 fps until anything involving physics happens... like the ice breakign...the ice thats in every single room of the ship. then it goes down to 5-9 fps.

here's my rig
all liquid cooled except ram
dual hd5770's
9ghz of ddr3 ram @1600mhz
i7 quad core @2.66 {but really it reports as 2.70}

i did try it with crossfire disabled since some games don't like dual cards. but there was no difference
this is bullshit. if i can play literally any other game out there without any trouble. why does cryostasis run like my machine is on fire. also taking into consideration that the one friend that has this game and nvidea can run it at around 40fps no problem on a much less robust system as mine. is fairly solid evidence that nvidea intentionally cripples there physics engine against ati cards. not only that. you cant even buy a dedicated physx card anymore. because mow it is intentionally disabled if you have an ati card on the same motherboard.

Well, i recently did testing with ATI 11.2 drivers.
NVIDIA Physx software was installed, but no Physx card was used.

HD6850 and HD4870 scored around 10 FPS on average.
HD6950 scored around 50 FPS on average.
No explanation how is that - perhaps some new tech on HD6900...

By the way, o personally played this game on GTX280 and it was still laggy, but at least playable. One of the main cause for lags was the shadows - just turned them off and lag was no more! But this only worked with nvidia cards. For ATI cards it did not matter how low you turn your settings - same lag, because of those ice particles.
Another cause for lag was the ice particles and you can remove them via cfg command in the ini file, as was expalined, but i did not need to do that, because once the shadows were disabled, GTX280 went smooth and besides, without those ice particles, the games just sux in appearance.

I gave up on this game ages ago. No matter what card I had or combination of, this game would not run at full settings. You can see that I have a PhysX card in my sig, I expected the game to finally run at full settings, nope....still laggy, however, the tech demo for the game runs at full settings. Go figure.

FPS is fine, but when you look around, the hand movement makes a weird "jaggy/flicker" motion that annoys the hell out of you. I found no way of fixing it.

I have yet to try out Cryostasis on my 5970 but even running on my sli 260 setup it was a nightmare to get running as I wanted.

Btw if you guys have not played it, it is greatly underrated.

Btw if you guys have not played it, it is greatly underrated.

Yes it is. Perhaps is underrated that it was developed by Russians? The game is unlike any other FPS in the market - it is a must for any FPS fan, that played and liked games like FEAR, Crysis or Half-Life, if one considers himself an FPS fan of that genre - Cryostasis is the game to play.

What's so special?

From all FPS games out there, this one is really the closest game to survival horror, it has a non linear and atmospheric level design, and for the most part of the game you solve puzzles and apply engineering duties more than actually fight. But the strongest point are the graphics - all those freeze effects actually make the game suck you in; without them it just would not be the same game.

This is the ship class in which the game takes place:

Back