• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mendocino L2cache speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hello Killy

Hi all I'm new to cpu overclocking (not video cards though) and I have a few questions.I've managed(much to the chagrin of TriGem Inc) to overclock my emachine with a celeron mendocino 533mhz to 580mhz with stock cooling using cpucool.However I have a question about it's L2 cache.I've heard that one of the reasons for cpu instability is the cache fizzles out when you overclock the cpu,so I downloaded an L2 cache divider by H.oda I believe .My problem is I dont know what these numbers mean,it say's current L2 Latency=5,then it has a list of numbers from 0 to 15.Do I need to go higher or lower than 5 to reduce cache speed?Many thanks.

Mendocino L2 cache speed is always the same as the cpu core speed.
Your 580mhz core has a L2 speed of also 580mhz.
Permanently locked 1/1 divider.

(A higher latency may give a few mhz more cpu speed. (performance gain/loss is negligable))

D2DM said:
Mendocino L2 cache speed is always the same as the cpu core speed.
Your 580mhz core has a L2 speed of also 580mhz.
B]

Actulally the mendocino core's L2 ran at half speed. So your L2 is running at 290mhz if your CPU is at 580mhz.

{PMS}fishy said:

Actulally the mendocino core's L2 ran at half speed. So your L2 is running at 290mhz if your CPU is at 580mhz.

Nope. Not the mendocino. I thought that at first too, like the old style PII's and the PIII's but according to the spec sheets the mendocino's L2 speed is the speed of the processor.

{PMS}fishy said:

no...

there were 2 early celerons

dixon = 266 and 300 with NO cache
medocino 300a -> 533 with 128k cache full clock speed cache

there have been no < full speed cache celerons

although coppermine celerons and tualatin celerons have reported to be set a higher latency than p3's... i dont know how true this is however

Back