• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 3 HELP!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TrialsKid

Registered
I heard there are 2 versions of the GF3. A3 and A5. I just ran WCPU ID and it talkd me i have a A3. Is this the good one or the bad one? and if it is the bad one is ther anything I can do about it? its a visiontek card

Nvidia sent out a bunch of gpus that are a5 stepping without updating the bga to reflect the update.
You most likley have the a5 stepping.
The program powerstrip will correctly identify the stepping as it does not read the information from the bga but the asic.
You can use powerstrip or take the heatsink off and have a look.

i took the heatsink off and it is indeed a A5 which makes me happy :)
but now the heatsink insn't sticcking onto the GPU, but it is still on, is this okay?

Yes the stuff nvidia uses drys like a glue. Just dont overclock it until you put new thermal paste on it to be safe.
As long as you put the pins back in it shouldnt fall off.

Placid (Jun 15, 2001 09:12 p.m.):
Yes the stuff nvidia uses drys like a glue. Just dont overclock it until you put new thermal paste on it to be safe.
As long as you put the pins back in it shouldnt fall off.

I am not overclocking it, do I need to put new thermal paste on?

Back